How do you prepare for a shoot?

bash721

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend an I recently went to a shoot to an old theater that had been closed for a few years to get some urban decay photos. We had been on a few shoots in the past in the same type setting and it felt like the creative juices were flowing the whole time and we ended up with some great shots however on this day it kind of fizzled. So how do you mentally prepare for a shoot where you can't expect the location. And when on location and you can't get the shot your after do you have any tips to counteract this and make the most of it? Thanks!

First time poster, happy to be here!

I prepare for a shoot by knowing where and what I'm intending to go and shoot - I'll also factor in how I'm going to get there too.

Knowing those facts I can start to prepare - I can select the items most suitable to achieve the ideal photo(s) that I want to take in the area that I'm shooting and which is feasibly transportable to the location.

If its a more general outing then its harder to specifically plan since you've less to no criteria on the table by which means you can use to judge what's going to happen. I tend to find that these situations tend to be more those where I'm doing something else that isn't photography (primarily) or where I'm out with family/friends (and thus not only is photography not the primary goal, its also a side event). In those cases I tend to default to either leaving the camera behind; picking up a smaller camera which is unobtrusive but well featured enough for my needs; or taking the DSLR with a limited selection of lenses down to only one or two really. (I'd also tend to make these common focal lengths - a 24-105mm - an 18-85mm - maybe a 70-200mm if the outing is to somewhere like a park or attraction).

What you like shooting will also dictate what you might take on a more random trip - if you love macro you might pack a macro lens; if you love wildlife you might fit a longer zoom in; if you love wide angles - a wide angle lens.

I don't know? I guess I just get hyped up some for some street shooting. Not very creative. I was thinking if I did some location shooting I'd like to look at it ahead some and think about it. But for documentary togs, you just 'do it' most of the time.

OP...post some of your pix from the shoot for us to see.

Thanks for the replies. Most of the time our locations are abandoned building facilities where we might only have a limited history and a general idea as to what to expect. It was a huge buzzkill for us when we had been planning for this shoot for well over a month and get there and not capture much to be proud of. I guess thats just how it goes sometimes.

Heres a link to my best shots for this particular shoot: The Cole Theater « Geeksie

I ask the client for a shoot list, if I have never worked with them before, that way there are fewer surprises, I can also add my input to make things run a little smoother if they haven't worked with an experienced professional before. I arrive earlier than they ask to look the venue over, find angles, where there may be problems, the easy routes around the venues in case anything happens that requires moving quickly, do some light checks and then just do the job. A client shouldn't have to worry about the photographer they hire, they have enough other things to deal with.

I'll add to imagemaker's excellent points - scout the location the day (or more) before at the same time as you're going to shoot so you really see what the light is like. One location might be stellar at 8.00am, but crap thirty minutes later.

Scouting is a very helpful thing to preparing to shoot in a new location, even if you don't take a camera just getting a look at a location can get your mind working on it before you turn up on the day. I know a few photographers who will even use a lens like an 18-200mm on a camera when scouting; gives you a massive range of typical focal lengths to work with so you can shoot certain spots just to remind yourself of them later for a more planned or quality shot (Chase Jarvis does this so its not something amateur to own an 18-200mm ;)).

I'd also add that if you come back and feel that you didn't have a great day then, unless you're being paid, I'd transfer the shots to the computer and leave them a few days/week before really looking at them. Sometimes its very easy to end up being hyper critical right after an event when our minds are full of the shots we wanted and didn't get and of the all the "mistakes" we made on the day -- a little breathing space and help you disconnect from that and be far more honest and objective with what you did shoot.

Scouting is a very helpful thing to preparing to shoot in a new location...
Essential, I'd say ;) It's not an option to arrive with the whole crew and begin to speculate, meandering across the scenery -"Maybe that background would work... or not? Perhaps... eeeeerrr... look there!, let me try..."

First I take a cold shower. Then I stretch and shadow box for exactly twelve minutes. When I get to the location, I draw a pentagram on the ground in chalk where I want my model to stand. I ask my assistant to unplug the head from my speedotron pack while it's turned on. Twice. I change into my silk smoking jacket and do a couple lines in the bathroom. Then I get under the dark cloth, fog up the ground glass with my breath, dribble twice, and shoot.

First I take a cold shower. Then I stretch and shadow box for exactly twelve minutes. When I get to the location, I draw a pentagram on the ground in chalk where I want my model to stand. I ask my assistant to unplug the head from my speedotron pack while it's turned on. Twice. I change into my silk smoking jacket and do a couple lines in the bathroom. Then I get under the dark cloth, fog up the ground glass with my breath, dribble twice, and shoot.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I didn't prepare for my last paid shoot (didn't even have time to go see the place). And my assistant caught a quick snapshot of me looking around and sweating profusely
bigthumb.gif

DSC_1336.jpg

Checklists. Tape a checklist of everything you'll need for the shoot to the back of your door. Prior to leaving, visually verify you have everything on your checklist.

Eat a massive full Irish breakfast, charge the hell out of everything ... because I always leave that too late, grab plenty of spare batteries, have a quick think about the location I'm heading to and dump anything I know I will not use.

Once I have an idea of what I'll be doing, I load the film and fit the lens I want to start with (the others go in the camera bag along with any filters I think I'll need and the cleaning stuff) . If I'm taking a tripod, I fit the quick release to the camera before setting out and make sure the shutter-release cable is in the tripod bag. I check the batteries in the camera, flash unit and light meter are okay.

Then I rethink and take some stuff back out of the bag. I like to travel light.

Most reactions

Back