How do you pronounce.....?!?!?!?!?!

So.....................!
All those who plan to travel to the Germany Meet-Up next year in May (in six months from now!!!), get prepared to us saying "Nee-kon", whenever we speak the word. And please, train your faces already. And don't give us funny looks THEN. You are being warned: Nee-kon is our way of pronounciation :greenpbl:

And Ts-ICE.

And Lie-car. Heehee :lol:

Since German is one of my languages too, I will go with "TS-ICE" and Lie-cah but Neyekon.

skieur

Leica=LIE-kah
Nikon=nee-kon (although I say neigh-kon)
Zeiss=ssICE
Zenit=tsee-nit
Nikkor=nee-KOR
bokeh=bow-kuh
Tamron=TAM-rin

Well, even though I'm teh n00b, I'll give this a shot.

Leica: lie - ka
Nikon: ni - con
Zeiss: z - eyes
Zenit: zee - nit
Nikkor: ni - core
bokeh: bo - que
Tamron: tamron

Spanish pronounciation is quite easy. Vowels sounds are almost always the same. There is almost always one sound per vowel.
a as in... animal
e as in Mexico
i as in Italy
o as in Bob
u like... well, boob (u is the only vowel with a phonetic exception... when it is placed between a g and either an e or an i, the u goes mute and gives the g a soft sound, like in geko. If there is no u between a g and either e or i, the g gets a harder sound... like an English h in "hello". It is also used between q and either e or i... the u also goes mute in this case)

See, easy. Same for consonats, but I will not list them here.

So Modotti is also quite easy, both o's as in Bob, m and d as in English, the double t as in Tim and the last i as Italy.

Now, to be honest, I don't think it's an Spanish name because of the double t. :p

AAAHHHH!!! So confusing!! :confused::lol: No, she was originally from Italy. If I imagine an Italian pronouncing it, it sounds something like, "moe-DOE-tee," but since that Italian is originally from my imagination, he's not really Italian. And I'm back where I started, isolated from humanity by my inability to pronounce words correctly.

AAAHHHH!!! So confusing!!
...And I'm back where I started, isolated from humanity by my inability to pronounce words correctly.

Sorry if the explanation was too complex.

Try it like this if you want to pronounce it like we do in Mexico:
mo-DO-tee (both O's like in Bob)

That should do it.

If Nikon = Neye - con
Canon must be Cay - non
from this day forth, I shall be saying Cay - non...like an idiot..:meh:

You say tomaydo, I say.....err.....tumarrto....lullz

hey i am sorry that i dont know how to explain....:hail:

Canon=Cay-known

:cokespit:

lol j/k, you can't not pronounce canon incorrectly.

Thought that about Nikon..
because the "a" in Canon is somehow less ambiguous than the "i" in Nikon..:confused:

I feel about 12 for even caring..

The Japanese say "Nee con" (as you would pronounce Nikon in German) but "Canon" (As you would pronounce "Cannon" in English).

First hand info from Japan this week ;)

Most reactions

Back