How do you protect slide film?

keller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is the first time I've shot slide film. They seem very expensive to mount, so I'm thinking of having a roll developed unmounted.

Problem is, how do you protect slide film?

My main worry is heat and light - can heat/light mess up slide film after they've been developed?

Also, I was thinking of cutting the film into managable parts (about 10 exposures each length) and sticking them into some plastic sleeves (the ones you use for stamp collections). Is this OK, or do I need special mounts to hold slides?

Then afterwards, I'll put them onto a regular projector (I don't have a slide projector), and just blow them up to see which ones are good for printing.

Is this method OK, or do I risk messing up my slides? I'm just very worried now, this is the first time I've tried shooting slides before :confused:

Are you sure it's expensive to mount? I don't know about the place where you get them developed, but where I normally process slides it only costs $1 to have them mount a roll for you. That said, it is totally possible to order them uncut so that you can put them into sleeves. I would recommend cutting them into strips of 6 frames and putting them into 6x6 sleeves (6x6 = 6 strips of 6 frames). You can also get 7x5 sleeves which fit most binders (6x6s are wider than most), but a little math reveales
that you can only fit 35 frames into those.

I think mounting is the best way to go, since it's easiest that way to protect them from scratches and dust that way, but if you really want, you can order them uncut from the lab and cut them yourself to put them in sleeves.

You can simply put the slide film into the same thing that your negatives get put into... you know those little plastic sleeves.

Here the shops cut and put the film into it for you without you needing to ask.... but maybe you've got no idea what I'm talking about coz they don't have it over there.
But putting it in the plastic sleeves is fine. Just make sure they don't get humid or too hot.

Alot of heat can mess up your slides... like if you leave them in a projector too long... normal room temp should keep them good. also dont leave them on the dash of your car.
as for protecting them... Id probably just get them mounted also... but you can get your own mounts. you could also put them into sleeves that you put film into.
what they have said so far all seems to be good info.
try this site for archivel sleeves and pretty much anything for photos/negitives/slides etc...
www.lightimpressionsdirect.com
heres a link to there slide and negitive stuff...
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=10000&PCR=30000:150000
Good Luck!

Light and heat are the enemies of film. If you are going to store film, make sure that any envelope/container will not affect it. Glassine is OK if you check it every few years. Beware of papers and plastics not specifically recommended for the purpose.

Hey thanks for the advice. One thing though, could someone tell me the names for the different stages film goes through? This is the most confusing part for me (I've read books about it, but I can't figure out which word is the correct term). Like what is film called before it is processed, but after you've taken the photo?

Ok, I think its pretty simple and streight forward... film when you buy it is called...film... or unexposed film... then when you take pictures with it its called exposed film... then once its processed or developed its called negitives.
hope I helped!

You can mount them yourself. Buy the mounts in bulk. But really that will take alot of time. Although unless you use them as slides I can see no reason to not store them like negative film. If scanning in it doesn't have to mounted so if you don't want to pay don't.

Most reactions

Back