How Do You Setup Off Camera Flash for a Nikon D3300?

mkauer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I've been trying to setup an off-camera flash with my Altura speedlight (full kit with remote and trigger), but I can't find the settings on my Nikon D3300 to make it the "commander." I've attached the trigger to the hotshoe of my camera, and I've attached the remote to my speedlight. But when I take a photo, the flash is not triggered. I have options for "channels" on my speedlight (S1, S2, M, etc.), but I can't find the settings on my camera to sync it. I've watched online tutorials, but they have not been helpful for my camera style (telling me to select options that my camera doesn't have). How can I do this with my particular camera model? Please help!

The trigger that goes on the hotshoe should have a way to select the channel that corresponds with the selection on the flash.

You don't have change anything on your camera.

Last edited:
The trigger that goes on the hotshoe should have a way to select the channel that corresponds with the selection on the flash.

You don't have change anything on your camera.

This is what my trigger looks like (on the left). There appears to be only one button on it, and it triggers the flash when pressed. How can I set the channel with this device?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-10-13-36-01-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-10-13-36-01-1.png
    209.7 KB · Views: 980
On the underside of each unit, you should see four DiP switches; the settings on these have to be identical for XMTR and RCVR.

Edit: Hold on... which button fires the flash when you press it, the one on the camera-mounted transmitter, or on the flash-mounted receiver?

On the underside of each unit, you should see four DiP switches; the settings on these have to be identical for XMTR and RCVR.

Edit: Hold on... which button fires the flash when you press it, the one on the camera-mounted transmitter, or on the flash-mounted receiver?

The button on the camera-mounted transmitter fired the flash. Here are pics of what I assume are the "DIP" switches you spoke of. How should I proceed?

Attachments

• receiver.jpg
    receiver.jpg
    692.1 KB · Views: 929
  • transmitter.jpg
    transmitter.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 899
The button on the camera-mounted transmitter fired the flash. Here are pics of what I assume are the "DIP" switches you spoke of. How should I proceed?
Okay, then the switches are set correctly already. Will your camera fire the flash when it is in the camera's hot shoe?

Okay, then the switches are set correctly already. Will your camera fire the flash when it is in the camera's hot shoe?
The camera will not fire the flash with the transmitter in the hotshoe.

If it's like the Nikon Speedlights, you have to turn on the speedlight before you turn on the camera. I usually turn on the speedlight first, followed by the receiver, then the transmitter, and finally the camera.

Make sure your camera is set to flash (in the menu), and make sure everything is turned on.

Please don't use the term "commander" unless you are talking about the Nikon proprietary CLS function, which, of course the D3300 doesn't offer "commander" mode.

Make sure your camera is not set to "rear curtain" flash at least until you get everything working. Also, use the flash sync shutter speed or slower.

Test fire the flash by manually pressing the "test" button to make sure it works.

Then use the "test" button on the receiver.

Then if the transmitter has a test button, try that one too.

Then use the camera's shutter.

If it still doesn't work, check all your batteries, switch positions, and double-check the owner's manual for the flash and the transmitters.

If it's like the Nikon Speedlights, you have to turn on the speedlight before you turn on the camera. I usually turn on the speedlight first, followed by the receiver, then the transmitter, and finally the camera.

Make sure your camera is set to flash (in the menu), and make sure everything is turned on.

Please don't use the term "commander" unless you are talking about the Nikon proprietary CLS function, which, of course the D3300 doesn't offer "commander" mode.

Make sure your camera is not set to "rear curtain" flash at least until you get everything working. Also, use the flash sync shutter speed or slower.

Test fire the flash by manually pressing the "test" button to make sure it works.

Then use the "test" button on the receiver.

Then if the transmitter has a test button, try that one too.

Then use the camera's shutter.

If it still doesn't work, check all your batteries, switch positions, and double-check the owner's manual for the flash and the transmitters.
I followed your directions (all excpet for the flash shutter speed because I'm not sure what that is). Didn't work for me yet. What is the flash sync shutter speed?

What is the flash sync shutter speed?
Your flash will not synchronize with a really fast shutter speed. The Sync shutter speed is listed in your user's manual. Anything faster than that, the flash will not match the shutter.

Somebody with those particular Transceivers will have to help.

What is the flash sync shutter speed?
Your flash will not synchronize with a really fast shutter speed. The Sync shutter speed is listed in your user's manual. Anything faster than that, the flash will not match the shutter.

Somebody with those particular Transceivers will have to help.
Ok, I'll test out slower shutter speeds later tonight to see if that works. Thanks!

Ok, I'll test out slower shutter speeds later tonight to see if that works. Thanks!
No, seriously, did you try everything else?

Quite frankly, that is probably not the thing.

No, seriously, did you try everything else?

Quite frankly, that is probably not the thing.
I think I've tried everything else. The batteries are all new. I turned on all the devices in order. The flash and camera are both set on manual. The trigger button triggers the flash, but the camera's shutter button still doesn't trigger it. I don't know what to do.

Most reactions

Back