How do you shoot? With one or both eyes open?

camz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My partner took a picture of me performing a shoot a while back where I had both eyes open. To me it just comes instinctively as I do a spot check on what's outside of the frame just in case I need to make some adjustments. I find myself doing the same thing when aiming a firearm. For my partner it doesn't work well, so she only has one eye open viewing what's in the viewfinder.

I'm curious to see how do you guys/gals here in TPF shoot?

%22%20title=%22cameron-flash%20by%20camz22,%20on%20Flickr
%22%20title=%22cameron-flash%20by%20camz22,%20on%20Flickr
3991816167_1339a110ae.jpg

I close one unless im taking a pic of a moving object (panning pics, sport, etc.). If the subject doesnt move a whole lot out of the frame, then I try to be as creative as possible on my framing and close one eye.

I shoot with my left eye looking through the viewfinder, so on most cameras my right eye can only see the back end of the camera, so I keep it shut. However that is when I am handholding as that method feels more natural to me; I am however right eye dominant and if I'm shooting on a tripod I'll often shift to using my right eye (because I'm no longer bracing the camera against my body in the same way) and then my left will sometimes be open (I've not done enough of this shooting lately so I need to retain my left eye).

I shoot with my left eye looking through the viewfinder, so on most cameras my right eye can only see the back end of the camera, so I keep it shut. However that is when I am handholding as that method feels more natural to me; I am however right eye dominant and if I'm shooting on a tripod I'll often shift to using my right eye (because I'm no longer bracing the camera against my body in the same way) and then my left will sometimes be open (I've not done enough of this shooting lately so I need to retain my left eye).

I find that interesting how you are able to use both eyes as schwetty mentioned having both eyes open plays a big part in panning. My problem is that I can only shoot with my right eye on the viewfinder. So I can't pan right for the life of me. Another interesting approach is maybe to have the camera vertically framed when the left eye is on the viewfinder that way what's outside the frame is viewable.

my right eye is on the view finder. You have problem having both eyes open usually when you use your left because your right eye will be blocked by your hand.

Yeah go figure. I think that's why having the camera vertically positioned with the left eye in the finder may help which I need to practice.

It varies with me. I'll usually shoot with my left eye closed unless i can't seem to find what i'm looking for, then i'll open the other eye to get a sense of what is around me. This actually reminds of something that i think i'll make a post on!

I shoot left eyed only and keep both eyes opened most of the time. I can still see what's going on even though it is supposedly blocked by my right hand.

1035472986_h9dMp-XL.jpg

I shoot left eyed only and keep both eyes opened most of the time. I can still see what's going on even though it is supposedly blocked by my right hand.

1035472986_h9dMp-XL.jpg

Kund, are you left or right handed? Looks like there still maybe room for you to look over the right hand if the head maybe tilted a little more.

Depends on the situation, shooting most sports I try and keep both eyes open, especially where the possibility of blindside action is going on, shooting football is a prime example where players can come away from the action you're shooting. For figure skating I used to tape a black card on the top of the camera for shooting verticals, that way I could keep my eyes open and yet cut down on the white from the ice.

I'm right handed but have always shot the camera left eyed. I find that I can comfortably rest my left cheek on the camera back. I've tried right eyed, but get a sense of imbalance. The photo is a bit jaded though. I am normally over the top of the camera a bit more, but I squashed myself here to make sure I was in frame. :lol:

Depends on the situation, shooting most sports I try and keep both eyes open, especially where the possibility of blindside action is going on, shooting football is a prime example where players can come away from the action you're shooting. For figure skating I used to tape a black card on the top of the camera for shooting verticals, that way I could keep my eyes open and yet cut down on the white from the ice.

Taping a black card on top of the camera...now that's thinking outside the box. I like using the sun for back lighting so often I shoot against it when I use flash on a series. Since I shoot with both eyes open it gets tricky in this situation...I think I'm going to have to steal your visor idear. No patents pending, or intellectual rights on this one do we? lol :thumbup:

A friend of mine wears glasses and had an old pair that he blacked out the one lens, he also shoots figure skating. You'd be amazed at how well it works and really stops alot of the eye strain.

I had to think about that one! Normally one eye closed, but both eyes open sometimes. Hahaha. I can't decide!

Camz, if you make it vertical and the bottom of the camera on your left and you use your left eye, wouldn't that make it really awkward? Your shutter is at the bottom and you can't use the vertical grip shutter button.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back