How do you start getting into photographing portraits with actual real people!?!?

DevC

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Mind the funny title :p Meant to be a bit sarcastic...it's thursday and i'm exhausted.

I really want to try to start bringing out my artistic taste to real actual people. I've been shooting landscapes /cityscapes/nature and want to expand my work out. I have never really got out and shoot people, including friends and family. I would love to catch vibrant emotions of people through outdoor portraits and emotion.

I know the first thing most people say, ask friends and family. Most people I know don't really want to pose in front of a camera (camera shy), and just simply aren't interested.

What are possible avenues I can do down? Should I try to possibly look around and ask local photographers in my area?
Thanks!
Dev

You could hire somebody.

You could hire somebody.

That still sounds hard to find, and even further expensive.
Isn't there avenues where people of the same nature are trying to get experience in possibly modeling or something of that nature?

It's called "trade for portfolio" - TFP Try modelmayhem.

Last edited:
Model Mayhem can work wonders, but remember its got all kinds there and some people will be all talk and never show up - others will be great to work with. Remember when you're working for free on there (ergo not paying for services or being paid) the number of flakes who won't show will be greater; stick at it and network and you can get some good contacts.

Before that though it sounds like you want to do some posed shots; if you can you can use a toy or mannequin to stand in place of a person so that you can do some playing around with lights and modifications you have. This helps you get a feel for how you might want to set things up on the day and cuts down a lot of experimentation or fiddling around with settings (these subjects also don't get bored so you can keep going for as long as you want).

If you have any pre-set ideas as to poses then make sure to write them down; get some kind of structure for the shoot with a person so that you've always got something specific to work on. Note models might come with their own requests so make sure to get such detailed ironed out before the shoot day (lets you prepare and also turn away any after something that you know you can't do - for whatever limitation)

How do you start getting into photographing portraits with actual real people!?!?

Why not stick with photographing unreal people. One of the tricks in photography is to find a niche and it sounds like you already have found one.

You could do what I did...just start carrying the camera around all the time when with family and they'll eventually get used to it. :) Of course, my family is pretty easy to get along with. I really like the toy or mannequin idea! I think I'm going to start doing that to work with flash, headshot practice, etc. I'm assuming that the purpose would be to really get in tune with lenses, the flash, and ambient light in different places, etc. Although, carrying a doll around to random places and setting up to take a bunch of photos could raise some undesired questions... :)

Although, carrying a doll around to random places and setting up to take a bunch of photos could raise some undesired questions...
That reminds me of the movie: "Lars and The Real Girl".

First of all, thank you for the tips everyone...and the sarcasm. If I could find unreal people (no i'm not going to the morgue) I would!

This is all a new venture for me.

Model Mayhem can work wonders, but remember its got all kinds there and some people will be all talk and never show up - others will be great to work with. Remember when you're working for free on there (ergo not paying for services or being paid) the number of flakes who won't show will be greater; stick at it and network and you can get some good contacts.

Before that though it sounds like you want to do some posed shots; if you can you can use a toy or mannequin to stand in place of a person so that you can do some playing around with lights and modifications you have. This helps you get a feel for how you might want to set things up on the day and cuts down a lot of experimentation or fiddling around with settings (these subjects also don't get bored so you can keep going for as long as you want).

If you have any pre-set ideas as to poses then make sure to write them down; get some kind of structure for the shoot with a person so that you've always got something specific to work on. Note models might come with their own requests so make sure to get such detailed ironed out before the shoot day (lets you prepare and also turn away any after something that you know you can't do - for whatever limitation)

Thank you for the tips. I may play around with a toy or mannequin (some toys i tried to give as birthday presents but were rejected) just to do some test shots at home. Maybe i'll upload them.
I'll try writing down as much as what I Imagine my scenes to be even before working with a mannequin or something not real.

Another thing, I don't have much lighting gear. I've seen many beautiful images using diffusers , flashes, etc. Maybe I should invest in one.

People you know are always there when you need to try new lighting or other techniques. I imagine most of them are pretty real.

Unless you're new to the city you're in and you don't have many friends. Or if you're a hermit.

Fall 100% into the first category. New to my city (just moved) and only know roughly ~~1 person.

Ouch.

I've been considering another option...maybe to get some experience shooting my self (a.k.a a good self portrait beforehand).

Maybe this may help me mess around and learn a bit of lighting the face. Sounds a bit difficult but may be worth the effort.

Just like the technical and artistic aspects of photography are skills that can be learned and need to be practised....interacting with people (often strangers) as a photographer, is also a skill that can be learned and really needs to be practised.

Most of the 'really good' portrait/wedding photographers that I've met, are the type of people who would have no problem walking down the street and convincing someone to pose for some photos. It's that outgoing personality that allows them to easily interact with people, and it often helps to put people at ease, which makes for better photos.

I don't know of any good ways to learn this, besides practising and just doing it.

I happen to live in a large city, Los Angeles, so there's plenty of subjects walking around. After I bought my first my full-frame body (Nikon D3s), I was excited to try some street portraits. I was nervous at first, but on my first night's outing, I spotted this girl standing near a storefront right in front of me. I blurted out something about being a "photographer," and would she mind shooting a few pictures, and she said, "okay." This is my first official "street portrait," and it's still one of my better pictures I've taken of a total stranger:

85bokehx1.jpg

After a few more nights wandering the streets, I found my confidence grew. I asked more strangers, and took more pictures. A few ignored me, but most (surprisingly) agreed. I mostly prefer asking people's permission, but I've also taken some un-permissioned candids:

metroreverse.jpg

Most reactions

Back