How do you start getting into photographing portraits with actual real people!?!?

Beautiful stuff there studio. Came the realization I can basically carry around any SLR on the street, (possib ly a tripod too) and most people assume you are photographer and would be flattered for a pic...

Eitherway, I have a good opportunity today. I will be shadowing 2 photographers today and how they shoot models/ ask them for advice. I probably won't shoot any photos as this is ofcourse, their shot...but i see this as a good learning experience.

Hey, thanks, Big Mike, and DevC! I really enjoy shooting like that but I haven't gone out to do that since those first few outings for some reason. On another night I was in the subway in Los Angeles, and asked this one girl if I could take her picture, and she also said yes. She had this impish smile, and seemed to enjoy it. In fact, as far as I recall, every girl I asked agreed. The only "no" I encountered was when I was shooting a picture of a crosswalk, and kept asking women to press the button so I could include their hand in the shot.

Besides having a full-frame camera, I also had the benefit of some pretty fast glass which really helps when taking impromptu street candids. If you live near a large city center, I would highly encourage this kind of photography. The more you do it, the more confident you get. Try to look/act like a pro, and then they think you are one!

Came the realization I can basically carry around any SLR on the street, (possib ly a tripod too) and most people assume you are photographer and would be flattered for a pic...

Yes, I think that's definitely part of it. That's probably why so many were willing subjects because perhaps they thought I was some kind of pro, and were flattered that I thought them interesting.

Hey, thanks, Big Mike, and DevC! I really enjoy shooting like that but I haven't gone out to do that since those first few outings for some reason. On another night I was in the subway in Los Angeles, and asked this one girl if I could take her picture, and she also said yes. She had this impish smile, and seemed to enjoy it. In fact, as far as I recall, every girl I asked agreed. The only "no" I encountered was when I was shooting a picture of a crosswalk, and kept asking women to press the button so I could include their hand in the shot.

Besides having a full-frame camera, I also had the benefit of some pretty fast glass which really helps when taking impromptu street candids. If you live near a large city center, I would highly encourage this kind of photography. The more you do it, the more confident you get. Try to look/act like a pro, and then they think you are one!
Sure.
I'm stuck with a crop atleast for the next few months..

Then my plan is to go to the 800...we will see.
Although I may use your advice and walk around the area near me. I was always a fan of the humans of new york street photography scene. It would be interesting to do stuff like that once again...

Eitherway, to the thread. I worked with 2-3 professional photographers in my area today. They assisted me in shooting some models. Infact I was finally able to get some experience with models...which was great. Will post pics once i'm able to...shot over 700 pics.

Working with a group of pros really did help.

(some toys i tried to give as birthday presents but were rejected)
Someone (a kid, even) actually refused a present?! Maybe it's just me, but that seems incredibly rude.

Most of it has been mentioned already... There are models willing to work for prints or CDs. There are clubs you can join. You can bribe/shame your friends and family.

Just talk to people... Most might think it would be fun - and if they get some pictures out of it, even better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back