How do you stay creative?

ohbearded1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For some of us, we continue to work our full time jobs and have only limited photography time. Are there any people here that shoot on a day to day basis or at least try to? If so, what do you do to "stay on your toes creatively"?

A good image, like anything worth shooting, oft comes to oneself without thought, form, reason, or cause. That is to say, I sit and wait for my genius to kick in and inspire me (and before anyone decides that I'm being a pretentious git for using genius in reference to myself, I suggest you look-up the history of the word and how it has been changed over the centuries; I am using it here in the context of it's original meaning as it was used by ancient Greeks, Romans, and so on).

That said I find listening to music can be quite inspiring. So is simply looking at other people's work. I have copies of Flare, Vogue, and Elle (though Elle Canada is...debatable in quality) in my home for this very reason. (Don't bother with the words though. It's mostly rubbish.)

Examining the various items around you might also lead to inspiration. Let your mind wander, as you, say, look at your keyboard, and you may find inspiration to do a shoot involving a model being...oh...attacked by keyboards, mice, a laptop, cables, wires, and other technology. Hmm...that actually sounds like an interesting idea...I wonder if I can pull that off...*ponderponder*

I have recently started doing the "one a day". I'm only on day 12, and already some days it's a challenge. Some days it forces me to do one subject from many different angles and yesterday I have to go to a location I've never been to. I'm treating it as a learning experience that will help me to see differently. My usual thing is to do flowers and with the changing of the seasons that will soon come to an end. Will it help me to stay/become creative? I don't know but I do hope it helps me to see differently, thus becoming more creative.

I live downtown in a Mexican city. I never leave my apartment without my camera. To be honest, most of my shots are opportunities. I am not an artist and don't wish to be. I'm a photographer and that suits me fine.

Well to start you can try shooting something other than motorcycles lol.

Look at other peoples' work. I went to the Avedon retrospective last week and it was a real eye opener. It's one thing to look at somebody's stuff in a book but to stand a foot in front of a 20"x24" print and stare at the grain is somethin' else. Really gets the juices flowing.

Speaking of which you should sign up for the Nasher museum's mailing list. Lots of really interesting stuff going on there (although most of it not photography). Also, watch out for Caroline Vaughan, who exhibits around Duke a fair bit. Occasionally there are some great shows at the gallery on the NC State campus. You could even check out what's going on around the School of the Arts if you have time to schlep out to Winston Salem. (I'm from Raleigh, BTW)

For personal stuff I only bother if the light is right, shooting every day regardless of the conditions is fruitless, professionally I have no choice and make the most of what I'm given. H

I look at other people's work, both amatures and pros. I look at magazines, printed ads, ads on TV.

I find one thing that helps me be creative is just going out and shooting. I'm talking more about cityscape and urban shooting the model and fashion shooting. When I start shooting something I find interesting, my first few shots usually arent the keepers (if there actually are keepers :) ). As I shoot, I sometimes get an idea to do something with my current subject that I didn't think of as I was walking there.

I also try and take 8-10 photos of everything I shoot. Its sometimes not possible, but forcing myself to see things in different angles and perspectives will help keep me creative.

Are there any people here that shoot on a day to day basis or at least try to? If so, what do you do to "stay on your toes creatively"?
Like most people I go through periods of enthusiastic creativity and periods of apathetic disinterest. Regardless, I try to imagine myself possessing a camera at all times, surveying the scene, extracting images, and considering the mechanics of how I might actually realize a photo in that situation. (This can earn some awkward stares from other people if I'm eyeballing a pile of lichen for 15 minutes but oh well.) And of course I look at other people's stuff all the time.

That is to say, I sit and wait for my genius to kick in and inspire me (and before anyone decides that I'm being a pretentious git for using genius in reference to myself, I suggest you look-up the history of the word and how it has been changed over the centuries; I am using it here in the context of it's original meaning as it was used by ancient Greeks, Romans, and so on).

haha. if using the word genius to describe yourself doesn't earn you the pretentious coment award, qualifying and defending its use with a reference to its etymology certainly does! :er:

as far as maintaining creativity is concerned, it is a matter of perspective. what leads to creative thought is the ability to see something with a slightly different mindset than anyone else. therefore it's important not to become jaded to the world around you. observe and analyze. find the pleasure and fascination in the everyday. don't take the everyday forgranted. everything has a beauty in it's own manner, if you acquaint yourself with it enough. look at everything as if it's the first time.

I dont shoot everyday, although I would love to.

This is one of the reasons I like taking classes. It allows me to discuss and meet some peers, and its also a 4 hour time slot each week where I shoot (or talk about shooting hehe).

I try and shoot on my own at least 3-4 hours each week ontop of my class time. This can be doing a class project, other projects, or just walking around.

Although some times, I walk about and rarely take my camera out of the bag.

Music. :D For me photography and music go hand in hand. I hardly every check out other work for inspiration, cause I dont want to shoot like everyone else and am still trying to find my own style. I will just put on the tunes, and let my mind take me to a photo. Sometimes, I just wander and let the photo come to me.
My biggest enemy is time. :er:

I like your motorcycles..
nice share.

thanks.
\

Thank you.

I have recently started doing the "one a day". I'm only on day 12, and already some days it's a challenge. Some days it forces me to do one subject from many different angles and yesterday I have to go to a location I've never been to. I'm treating it as a learning experience that will help me to see differently. My usual thing is to do flowers and with the changing of the seasons that will soon come to an end. Will it help me to stay/become creative? I don't know but I do hope it helps me to see differently, thus becoming more creative.

I've been attempting to do the same, with that I've been trying to find areas around town to go to just to keep the subject matter seem non repetitious.

Well to start you can try shooting something other than motorcycles lol.

lol

Look at other peoples' work. I went to the Avedon retrospective last week and it was a real eye opener. It's one thing to look at somebody's stuff in a book but to stand a foot in front of a 20"x24" print and stare at the grain is somethin' else. Really gets the juices flowing.

Speaking of which you should sign up for the Nasher museum's mailing list. Lots of really interesting stuff going on there (although most of it not photography). Also, watch out for Caroline Vaughan, who exhibits around Duke a fair bit. Occasionally there are some great shows at the gallery on the NC State campus. You could even check out what's going on around the School of the Arts if you have time to schlep out to Winston Salem. (I'm from Raleigh, BTW)

I'll check into that, thanks!

Music. :D For me photography and music go hand in hand. I hardly every check out other work for inspiration, cause I dont want to shoot like everyone else and am still trying to find my own style. I will just put on the tunes, and let my mind take me to a photo. Sometimes, I just wander and let the photo come to me.
My biggest enemy is time. :er:

Interesting method, not sure it'd work for me but hey to each their own.

For me, I usually can just see the pictures in my head after observing a subject for a moment. I then try to capture it in as many perspectives as possible.

try shooting outside of your comfort zone. For me, I'm shy. So when I'm feeling less-than-creative I will make an attempt to go up to someone I don't know and ask to take their photo if they look interest. My primary passion is people and I often see SOOO many great subjects in a large group setting that I would love to photograph and dont have the nerve to talk to anyone.

Maybe try to look at something you wouldn't ordinarily see - go to someplace you wouldn't go - do something uncomfortable and look for the beauty in it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back