How do you take product photos?

cbay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.desigzgallery.com
Hello,
I am trying to take some top quality product photos for my new website. I am trying to take photos of soap and different bathroom related products which are all a small scale. but i have tried to surround it with white sheets of paper but the bkground comes out grey. I have then tried to crop the bkground out but it is too difficult, anyone got any ideas?

Hi there,

This thread's quite similar: http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22288 and may help you out.

Try using the search function to look up still life and studio stuff and you'll probably find even more info.

Grey btw is probably due to insufficient light. Try the three light combo set-up as drawn by Brett in the thread above to cancel shadows and use the brightest light of all - the sun - if poss.

Rob

Over expose by two stops and that background will be good :)

cbay said:
i have tried to surround it with white sheets of paper but the bkground comes out grey.

That's exactly what your camera is trying to do...make everything gray. If you had used black paper, it probably would have been a shade of gray too.

A camera's meter is set up to expose for an average, neutral scene. So if you give it all white paper, the camera will think it's too bright and underexpose (so you must add exposure). If you use a mostly black scene, the camera will think it's too dark and overexpose (so you must subtract exposure).

As mentioned, try adding some light and give one or two more stops of exposure over what the meter is telling you.

i used this
whatidid.jpg

to get this
hwgsmall.jpg

Okay i understand this but that picture is really good but i dont understand how you suspended the gun? also what did you use for the large background behind?

i dont think he suspended the gun at all. its laying down on the paper or floor right?

I believe it was digital matt who told me to get a big piece of white paper and sit it on the ground with part of it leaning against the wall...that should provide a good background. the real task is getting some good lighting.

md

His drawing suggest he did suspend the gun. You can use fishing line, thread or whatever you have on hand and then edit it out in post process.

I have used a white bed sheet for backgrounds in the past. They work good as long as you pay attention to evenly lighting the material.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back