How do you tell if a Camera is fake

Shanman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I found a deal (almost too good to be true) and before I drop the money, just trying to figure out if what I am buying is legit. I took a pic of the serial number and when googled it comes up as a camera that is 8 years old. This is a D750, so kinda weird that it would come up as a D40. The camera and lenses all appear to work, but i just still have a weird feeling.

Take a photograph WITH the camera. The true serial number is embedded in the EXIF data so see if they match.

Take a photograph WITH the camera. The true serial number is embedded in the EXIF data so see if they match.

As well as the camera model..... in the case of swapped nameplates.

As well as the camera model..... in the case of swapped nameplates.
I don't think you could make a D40 look like a D750 just by swapping the nameplates; a D40 doesn't have the left-hand dial (or other visible items). But if you'd never seen a D750 before, maybe.

OP: Yes, take a photo and look at the EXIF.

D750 has a video button, tilty screen, FF sensor. D40 doesn't do video, tilty nor FF.

D750 has a video button, tilty screen, FF sensor. D40 doesn't do video, tilty nor FF.

It might be hard to check sensor size by looking at the camera, but , yes - a number of pieces are gone from the D40: top LCD, AF/M switch, and front right-side dial.

Also, if you look through the viewfinder, you'll only see three AF points.

I found a deal (almost too good to be true) and before I drop the money, just trying to figure out if what I am buying is legit. I took a pic of the serial number and when googled it comes up as a camera that is 8 years old. This is a D750, so kinda weird that it would come up as a D40. The camera and lenses all appear to work, but i just still have a weird feeling.

#1 - go with your gut - always
#2 - too good to be true is usually false

I am not even sure what to think of this. If it'd "fallen off the boat", it might be a good deal if your moral compass is more like a moral potato - just treat it like a used camera without a warranty.

It's exceptionally unlikely that one of a crate-full of stolen cameras would ever come back to you, but I'd file this one as too weird to consider.

The whole deal sounds fishy to me.

If you don't have access to the camera's EXIF data, I would send an email to Nikon directly. They will have all the information you will need on it, including if it has been reported as stolen.

Honestly, life it too short to pursue shady deals. If it were me and my gut was telling me to walk, I'd walk.

Yeah, I would pass on it. Not worth the risk.

A few months ago, I read a post of some guy who had bought himself a Nikon "D600", but which was actually a faked D600, made off of a rather inexpensive D7000 body. The thing is, the D600 was actually built ON the D7000 body and subsystems, and they look somewhat alike!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back