How does my video color look?

harmonica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am an aspiring filmmaker, and trying to get the best looking movie looks possible. I have come up with one that is good to use for a variety of types of looks. I did it in camera. I have the Canon T2i, and they don't have much dynamic range for post color grading since they capture the data at H.264. So I figure it's best to get closer to the look you want in camera, so you don't have to push it as far in post.

Here's a look I have come up with in camera, which I would like to use as a more general look, in case the client has a more specific request, or in case I want to do something different for my own projects. Which of these two looks is better? It's the same look, I just changed the contrast by one notch in each. Pick the best of the two from the examples in the video:

Thanks for input, people!

Last edited by a moderator:
what "look"?

the angry, one-eye-closed, double-chin look?

You describe one look, but there's like 10 different lighting situations; the first being the only one that looks good to me.

As fasr as the "0" "-1", I think it's plain to see there's absolutely no difference between the settings.

Last edited:
I cant really tell the difference between -1 and 0 myself. Maybe side by side i might be able to see the difference so that being said is it really that big of a change?

Note: i don't know anything about anything it just my 2 cents.

What kind of editing software do you have access to?

I have Premiere Pro. I could try to split screen it.

I have Premiere Pro. I could try to split screen it.

Try using the 3 way color corrector to adjust colors. I always like to keep the WB the same on the camera then go in and adjust the color to fit the desired end result. I NEVER use any of the cameras filters or effects. It's easier to add that stuff in post than it is to remove it.

Do you have adobe speed grade? If not you might want to check it out as it's designed for color correction.

Okay thanks, but when I try to add stuff in post, and shoot flat, it doesn't look as good, as oppose to getting the look you want originally. I think it's because my camera is H.264, instead of RAW, so I don't have as much dynamic range to work with. Or maybe I just suck at coloring. I use the coloring plug ins on Premiere Pro, and I have the 3 way color corrector, but always seem to get some noise when I add color back in, as oppose to getting the look I want in camera. People say that it serves them better to add it in post, but I have never experienced that way so far.

I helped a guy shoot a feature film, and he shot with a camera that did not have shallow DOF, and he decided to make the background shallow in post. The result did not look as good as getting it right on camera, but that's just one example. I tried adding contrast in post, but there are certain details in faces, that are lost as oppose to doing it in camera.

Ok there are two thing that you are confusing as one. First getting the proper exposure and dof correct in camera is crucial. Now things like color grading and certain "looks" are saved for post.

These are two vastly different things. Getting things exposed properly in camera will normally involve lights or at least a reflector.

I have the Canon T2i, and they don't have much dynamic range for post color grading since they capture the data at H.264. So I figure it's best to get closer to the look you want in camera, so you don't have to push it as far in post.

Dynamic range and color are two COMPLETELY COMPLETELY COMPLETELY different things.

I think it's because my camera is H.264, instead of RAW, so I don't have as much dynamic range to work with.

The difference between h264 and raw video is compression and how much of the original data from the sensor is saved in the fine.

Dynamic range is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

From your posts it is clear that you don't understand what dynamic range is. I recommend you study up on it.

Okay thanks. How do I make the color look just as good in post though? Everytime I try to color in post, it just does not look as good as getting it right in camera. I thought it was dynamic range but I misunderstood. Either way though, there is the problem that I cannot get it to look good in post. So I figure why not just do it in camera, since I am better at that. I have no problem making that decision on set, and not one of those filmmakers who has to save that decision for post. I still do grading in post, but I don't like to shoot completely flat, and still like to creat a look for the camera. Is that so bad? If that custom picture style I showed in the video is horrible and ruined then maybe. But is it? It seems as long as you know what you want and do not change your mind, then you are okay. Unless I am wrong?

This article says that in order to shoot flat, I will need a camera with low noise, and I think that's my problem as, the Canon T2i, has very high noise.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/2013/03/to-shoot-flat-or-not-to-shoot-flat/\

This article also talks about how shooting flat gives you less data to work with when it comes to adding saturation back in afterwards:

http://www.steveoakley.net/template_permalink.asp?id=172

So is shooting flat a good idea compared to what these people have to say?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back