How does Photoshop Bridge work?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have Bridge because it came with my copy of CS6 and I've seen it used in some Youtube videos as a way to open files into PS CS6. But, from a 50,000 foot perspective, what is its purpose?

It appears to include the same ACR software that is found in LR4. So, are you supposed to make edits to your image in Bridge first using the ACR software and then open in PS?

I'm trying to understand the BIG PICTURE perspective of Bridge.

Thanks.

Bridge is exactly what the name implies, a bridge. It allows you to browse through your files and decide what to work with and in what program. You can open your file in any of the Adobe programs from bridge. In this way it is similar to the library module in lr.

Here's a quick video about bridge. I used to use bridge and ACR before moving to Lr.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate bridge. huge resource hog and doesn't really add that much functionality IMO.

I hate bridge. huge resource hog and doesn't really add that much functionality IMO.

So...you never....(wait for it.....).......Bridged the gap with the software? :mrgreen:

I find myself not using it much.

So...you never....(wait for it.....).......Bridged the gap with the software? :mrgreen:

I find myself not using it much.

Bridge is designed for an imaginary user who only uses adobe products.

It seems few photographers know how to use Bridge effectively. Bridge is designed to work with most of Adobes Creative Suite applications.

I should write a Web page to tell the other side of the story - 100 ways Bridge and Camera Raw Kicks Lightroom's A$@
Both Bridge and CS 6 can host Camera Raw.
In fact both can host Camera Raw at the same time. That's like having 2 Lightroom Develop modules open at the same time.

Bridge can be used to run CS 6 batch processes. Camera Raw can batch process images too.
Check out the available options on the Bridge Applications bar - File, Edit, View, Stakes, Label, Tools, Windows, Help

Bridge can work with many more file types than Lightroom can.

But just like Photoshop, with Bridge open press the F1 key on your keyboard and then click on the Bridge icon to go to - Bridge Help | Help and tutorials

You can even download the Bridge User's manual - http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/bridge_reference.pdf

About Adobe Bridge

Adobe® Bridge, provided with Adobe Creative Cloud, or Adobe Creative Suite® 6 and CS5 components, lets you organize the assets you use to create content for print, web, and video. Adobe Bridge keeps native Adobe files (such as PSD and PDF) as well as non-Adobe files available for easy access. You can drag assets into your layouts, projects, and compositions as needed, preview files, and even add metadata (file information), making the files easier to locate.

File browsing From Adobe Bridge you can view, search, sort, filter, manage, and process image, page layout, PDF, and dynamic media files. You can use Adobe Bridge to rename, move, and delete files; edit metadata; rotate images; and run batch commands. You can also view files and data imported from your digital still or video camera. See View and manage files.
Browse and manage assets using the Mini Bridge panel in Adobe Photoshop®, Adobe InDesign®, and Adobe InCopy®. Mini Bridge communicates with Adobe Bridge to create thumbnails and keep files up-to-date. Mini Bridge lets you work with files more easily within the host application. See Mini Bridge.

Mini Bridge If you have Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, or Adobe Creative Suite installed, you can open camera raw files from Adobe Bridge and save them. You can edit the images directly in the Camera Raw dialog box without starting Photoshop or Lightroom, and copy settings from one image to another. If you don’t have Photoshop installed, you can still preview the camera raw files in Adobe Bridge. See Work with Camera Raw.

Camera raw If you have Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, or Adobe Creative Suite installed, you can open camera raw files from Adobe Bridge and save them. You can edit the images directly in the Camera Raw dialog box without starting Photoshop or Lightroom, and copy settings from one image to another. If you don’t have Photoshop installed, you can still preview the camera raw files in Adobe Bridge. See Work with Camera Raw.

Color management If you have a Creative Cloud membership, or an edition of Adobe Creative Suite 6 or CS5, you can use Adobe Bridge to synchronize color settings across color-managed Adobe Creative Suite components. This synchronization ensures that colors look the same in all Adobe Creative Suite components. See Manage color.

I should write a Web page to tell the other side of the story - 100 ways Bridge and Camera Raw Kicks Lightroom's A$@
Yeah, you really should! That would be awesome!

Otherwise, you'll probably still be the only one who believes it every time you imply it. Maybe you could even start your own cult! (according to Apple and Pocket Wizard, there's money in that)

It seems few photographers know how to use Bridge effectively. Bridge is designed to work with most of Adobes Creative Suite applications.

Keith, I am probably the best use case for bridge as I use damn near every CS product on a daily basis. My issue is while it is in theory a time saver it's not as much of a time saver that I want to have bridge up and running. While bridge is up it takes up a lot of the computers resources and makes programs like premiere and photoshop run slower.

Maybe it's because I haven't used it enough but thus far I haven't seen the need to use anything beyond basic windows for file management.

I just use Bridge to make contact sheets lol.

Keith, I am probably the best use case for bridge as I use damn near every CS product on a daily basis. My issue is while it is in theory a time saver it's not as much of a time saver that I want to have bridge up and running. While bridge is up it takes up a lot of the computers resources and makes programs like premiere and photoshop run slower.

Maybe it's because I haven't used it enough but thus far I haven't seen the need to use anything beyond basic windows for file management.
Just like any other software application, some time and effort have to be devoted to learning how to use it to advantage.

Bridge can do a lot more helpful to photographers file management tasks than Window's file management can.

It might be worth your while to look over the Bridge users manual section that covers file management, and batch processing - http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/bridge_reference.pdf

Most reactions

Back