How Far does it Zoom?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've lately been asked the question, "How far does it zoom? 1/4 mile? 1/2 mile?" when using my 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

How do you respond to a question like that!? I've seen on here people discussing weird questions they get asked, but haven't heard of this one before. Just, how do you rate a zoom in terms of mileage? I simply tell them... "let me find this shot of the April 12 moon crater [sift through photos]...oh, must be on a different card..."

I've lately been asked the question, "How far does it zoom? 1/4 mile? 1/2 mile?" when using my 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

How do you respond to a question like that!? I've seen on here people discussing weird questions they get asked, but haven't heard of this one before. Just, how do you rate a zoom in terms of mileage? I simply tell them... "let me find this shot of the April 12 moon crater [sift through photos]...oh, must be on a different card..."

On a clear day, you can see forever.

Oh I know, it makes absolutely no sense.

people ask me how to zoom my primes all the time, and are appalled that they are so heavy, big, and expensive but you still can't zoom.

the one i really like, though, is "what's the optical zoom?"

I like to tell people that I took a photo of Deneb. When I get that deer in the headlights look, I explain that it is the farthest visible star to the naked eye at 1,600 light years away. They usually quit asking stupid questions at that point. :lol:

I like to tell people that I took a photo of Deneb. When I get that deer in the headlights look, I explain that it is the farthest visible star to the naked eye at 1,600 light years away. They usually quit asking stupid questions at that point. :lol:

I thought you were talking about my Aunt Deneb. In that case she's so big you would need a fish eye to get all of her... :) JUST KIDDING!

Yeah, quality over quantity is something many people don't understand. They say, "Why would you get a 70-200 when you could get a 70-300 for an eighth of the price?" And when you explain the speed of the lens, they get kind of confused... Or they follow you and still don't see it justifying the price. Its always something with some people out there.

Well, the third time I took her out she went all the way.

Ughh, I hate it when people ask this. I actually got it yesterday while hanging out at a cafe with my new 70-200mm. I was like umm, its got a lot of zoom:confused::confused::confused:.

Its no big deal as i think they might be my first customers. This guy was there painting this gazebo downtown and i saw his wife show up trying to get some shots with a P&S. So i started taking some pictures of them myself until they came up to me and asked if i could take up pic of them with their camera. I said well, just let me get your email address and ill take some pics and send them to you. So when i got home i picked out 6 of the best shots, added a little water mark/signature and then resized them and emailed them. They best part was that they wanted to get my contact info if they ever needed me to shot any of their other projects.

Ok
Sorry for going off track

Ughh, I hate it when people ask this. I actually got it yesterday while hanging out at a cafe with my new 70-200mm. I was like umm, its got a lot of zoom:confused::confused::confused:.

Its no big deal as i think they might be my first customers. This guy was there painting this gazebo downtown and i saw his wife show up trying to get some shots with a P&S. So i started taking some pictures of them myself until they came up to me and asked if i could take up pic of them with their camera. I said well, just let me get your email address and ill take some pics and send them to you. So when i got home i picked out 6 of the best shots, added a little water mark/signature and then resized them and emailed them. They best part was that they wanted to get my contact info if they ever needed me to shot any of their other projects.

Ok
Sorry for going off track

Once you mention that you want money for the job, im sure they will dissappear.

Well, the third time I took her out she went all the way.

Are you just trying to be an idiot now?

That's the second nonsense, non-helpful posting of yours I've come across recently.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back