How far will you go?

Let's think about the obvious... I've owned a LOT of tripods in my life, and I've never owned one that had legs made of a combustible material. Aluminum? Yes. Steel? Yes. CF? Yes... what else do they make tripods out of that would actually burn??????

While I happen to love the sciences, Volcanoes and Lava are not my thing. Here however is an exerpt from an article on Lava and lava flows.

[h=4]Lava flows as you can see don't move very fast so people rarely get killed by them. However, lava flows are very hot (between 550 degrees C and 1400 degrees C) and can therefore cause injuries. People have burnt their skin, charred their eyebrows, and melted the soles of their boots from being near or on a hot lava flow. Lava flows don't cool instantaneously. It can take days to years for a lava flow to completely cool.[/h]
Lava Flows

This may be a stupid question, but with his face so close to the LCD screen and what looks like very diffused morning light, would the LCD screen be reflecting such a bright scene?

so..the heat transfers because he is standing still and not moving. which is how people walk across hot coals. "if he kept walking he would be fine." but hes not. hes just standing there looking like everything's all daisies. meanwhile, the heat has transferred to his shoes, and up his tripod. heat btw, hot enough to combust his shoes and tripod. and he doesn't look like hes even noticed. odds are, a temperature hot enough to ignite his shoes and tripod, has got to be pretty painful. he isn't exactly wearing any heat resistant gear. the fact that hes standing there, on a surface hot enough to set his shoes and tripod on fire and not even flinch, is actually pretty hard for me to believe.

He is fine because the air is a poor conductor but the shoes that are touching the hot rocks are not because they are in direct contact with the surface. His feet are probably hot, but no damage is occurring because rubber is a good insulator.

Let's think about the obvious... I've owned a LOT of tripods in my life, and I've never owned one that had legs made of a combustible material. Aluminum? Yes. Steel? Yes. CF? Yes... what else do they make tripods out of that would actually burn??????

Wood. Tripods from Berlebach - The Genuine Alternative! Wooden Tripods Made in Germany

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself. :lol:
:playball:

:blushing:

The feet parts are rubber.

so..the heat transfers because he is standing still and not moving. which is how people walk across hot coals. "if he kept walking he would be fine." but hes not. hes just standing there looking like everything's all daisies. meanwhile, the heat has transferred to his shoes, and up his tripod. heat btw, hot enough to combust his shoes and tripod. and he doesn't look like hes even noticed. odds are, a temperature hot enough to ignite his shoes and tripod, has got to be pretty painful. he isn't exactly wearing any heat resistant gear. the fact that hes standing there, on a surface hot enough to set his shoes and tripod on fire and not even flinch, is actually pretty hard for me to believe.

He is fine because the air is a poor conductor but the shoes that are touching the hot rocks are not because they are in direct contact with the surface. His feet are probably hot, but no damage is occurring because rubber is a good insulator.

For electricity, not for heat once they are on fire. They melt to quickly and sticks quite well to the skin once it starts to melt. Of this I know from experience. Needless to say my parents were not happy taking me to the ER to get two of my fingers separated. FYI. It hurts too.

He medic, where were you when I needed you???

whether or not the rubber is a good insulator, the fire has reached the top of his shoes. the rubber sole really isn't going to insulate the top of his feet very well.
look at the way that guy is dressed too. hes walking around a volcano in running shoes? seriously? not even a mask or respirator to keep out the smoke and soot? no goggles or even safety glasses? nothing? that guy looks like he is dressed to take pictures out in his cul-de-sac, not a volcano.
im still not buying it.

But the plastic bottom of the tripod feet are not melted in any way. Add in the red glow around the tripod legs on the rocks and it sureley has to have brushed in.

Basic thermodynamics mate, stuff melts before it catches on fire.

whether or not the rubber is a good insulator, the fire has reached the top of his shoes. the rubber sole really isn't going to insulate the top of his feet very well.
look at the way that guy is dressed too. hes walking around a volcano in running shoes? seriously? not even a mask or respirator to keep out the smoke and soot? no goggles or even safety glasses? nothing? that guy looks like he is dressed to take pictures out in his cul-de-sac, not a volcano.
im still not buying it.

It's a lava flow not a volcano. Two very different things.

But the plastic bottom of the tripod feet are not melted in any way. Add in the red glow around the tripod legs on the rocks and it sureley has to have brushed in.

Basic thermodynamics mate, stuff melts before it catches on fire.

Rubber bottom with metal spikes that the rubber feet screw up and down, I have a very similar tripod.

Not vulcanized rubber. That's the whole point of the vulcanization process. Other materials will melt as the temp rises but if the heat is strong enough and the material quickly reaches its ignition point it will burn before it can really melt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back