How Gifted do YOU think you are at photography???

OK- how good are you?

• I'm the Creator's gift to photography- really good

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I'm not the best, but I'm very good

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • I'm not fantastic, but I'm better than average

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I'm totally average

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I wish I was average, but I'm not that good

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I'm considerably worse that average

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I authentically stink at photography

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just looked at a local guy's flickr page, and in virtually every category of image that I have attempted, he seems to have a similar effort that is objectively better than mine. Makes me feel pretty lacking.

AND YET, when I share my images with non-photographers, they think I'm awesome. Really awesome.

The truth typically lies somewhere in-between. A lot probably depends on what you think of as 'average'. Given the proliferation of cell phone photos, I don't think the bar for average is overly high.

Votes are not public, but I'll share that I rated myself as the first tick-mark above average.

How would you rate YOU?

Above average but not quite good enough to be very good yet - still I'm at least decent at this photography thing.

However as the poll has no bacon option I find it somewhat lacking ;)

Bacon!

Very nice...

Gifted? No. Learned and experienced, yes. Its the old nature vs nurture thing, I have a decent eye for composition and can frame nice images but most of my skills come from just doing it for over 30 years. I learned a lot with film and have learned volumes more since digital was introduced, it makes learning a lot easier and more fun for me.

I think I'm average at some things (like landscapes), below average at others (portraits) and above average at some stuff (florals, abstracts). However the "average" is as compared to a total amateur, not to someone with skills. Of course my family and friends think I should quit my very lucrative day job and become a pro photographer hahahahahahahahaha!

I can shoot wildlife okay but may as well forget most other forms of photography without a lot of practice.

In short. average.

I can shoot wildlife okay but may as well forget most other forms of photography without a lot of practice.

In short. average.
Dude, your TOWERING skillz in wildlife shooting alone are plenty to skyrocket you SEVERAL rungs above average!

I'd rate myself somewhere between Tony Rockwell and Ken Northrup.

I'm about average with the technical side of photography, maybe even above average considering the amount of time I've been doing it. But I'm well below average when it comes to the artistic side. I have no natural talent for photography. I don't have original ideas. The best thing I have is good taste when admiring what others have done, and enough skills to emulate some of them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back