How Gifted do YOU think you are at photography???

OK- how good are you?

• I'm the Creator's gift to photography- really good

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I'm not the best, but I'm very good

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • I'm not fantastic, but I'm better than average

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • I'm totally average

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I wish I was average, but I'm not that good

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I'm considerably worse that average

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I authentically stink at photography

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
Is this thread asking us to turn in our cameras and change hobbies ?

:1219: :048: :aufsmaul:

:biglaugh:

Well then, if you haven't already, you need to read about the Dunner-Kruger effect (the "unskilled and unaware" effect.)
AKA the Fauxtog syndrome.

Gifted,

Well, pretty dang good! My brother gave me his 500C, a Pentax auto bellows with the 100 Bellows Takumar, a couple of serious light meters and lots of other neat stuff.

( oh - you mean )

mostly average then.

I got myself a 105E Nikkor as a chistmas gift. Instead of listing price 2419 Euros I only paid a bargain of 1865 or such. The lens is awsome although the AF is slow. The lens loves the D600 and takes her to new heights.

Now I am GIFTED!!!

Last edited:
I can't vote... I am not sure how to classify my skill level...

I have a horrible time understanding things like f-stop, etc... it is like math to me. I also have yet to conquer the issues I have with backlit subjects, and macro.

All I know is I can tell a bad photo from a good one. Composition is KEY. My photos are generally of ITEMS, things like cars and trains. There are some railfans who take amazing photos. I have ALSO known PERSONALLY local railfans who own $$ cameras and matching lenses, and their images are NOT that great. I am just about the only one left who uses a point-and-shoot camera... and yet, to toot my own horn a little, my photos are far better than most of theirs!

So, as far as most of you are concerned, I have little talent because I don't photograph stunning vistas or people. But, some of my photos have been published in Railpace Newsmagazine, so I can't be THAT bad! ;-)

I picked up photography about 6 months ago and i'd rate myself as just below average.

i learned the basics pretty fast and did a lot of experimenting. The most important thing i told myself was that i can make anything look good in a picture if i framed it right. so i challenged myself and tried to make an interesting picture of the first thing i saw. Sometimes it was grass, sometimes a wall but most of the times i ended up with an interesting image otherwise i still felt like i learned more about my camera.

My downsides even today is that even though i shoot in manual mode 90% of the time i still haven't touched the menus that much. I've only dared to play around with a few settings.
By writing this i realized that i should read the whole manual for my camera and not just the chapters that sounded interesting.

I've just started selling my work privately to family and friends and might expand it soon. Wish me good luck. No dream is to big....right...

So challenge yourself people! Find the most unattractive thing around you and try to make it attractive.

Most reactions

Back