How important is IS in a 18-55mm lens?

no.guru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not a total newbie, but it's been years - so pretty close.

Here's my impasse: I now realize the Nikon 55-200mm G lens wasn't a wise add-on to my D40 purchase from B&H. I have no specific plans for a telephoto, anyway.

I can return the entire package - being delivered today - for the Canon EOS Rebel XS which is the same price. Alternatively, I can probably return the telephoto only and keep the D40, but I have to clear this with B&H.

The Nikon's 18-55mm lens doesn't have IS, but the Canon's does.

This isn't a Canon v. Nikon issue. How important is IS in a 18-55mm lens?

Not very. It's only really useful (IMO) over the 100mm mark. I definitely wouldn't use that as a 'make or break' condition on a lens like this. On a 200 - 300mm, maybe, but not on short glass.

Agree with tirediron it's not a biggie on a short focal length lens.

I know you don't intend the thread to be a comparison of 2 brands but.....
Canon's 18-55 mm kit lens doesn't have the same level of reputation as Nikon's 18-55 mm kit lens.

I'll let you do your own research.

I never use my 18-55 kit lens accept as a fish-eye with an adapter lens.

Thanks for the comment, tirediron. I went with the D40 and a return of the 55-300mm. B&H was very reasonable and their service was flawless.

Agree with tirediron it's not a biggie on a short focal length lens.

I know you don't intend the thread to be a comparison of 2 brands but.....
Canon's 18-55 mm kit lens doesn't have the same level of reputation as Nikon's 18-55 mm kit lens.

I'll let you do your own research.
KmH, thank you. I don't mind thread drift, so no worries.

It's good to know I've chosen the better lens. I think the Canon is probably competitive with another Nikon, not the D40, even if its lens isn't of equal quality with the Nikon. The D40's price point is simply too low to meaningfully compare the two. I was willing to spend a little more, but in the end couldn't justify it.

Edit: Typo - who would know I've owned a Pentax for 20 years?

The newer Canon kit lens is much better than their old one in terms of optical quality.

Older Canon Kits lens for entry level Canon DSLR
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II - Test Report / Review

Newer Canon Kits lens for entry level Canon DSLR
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - Test Report / Review

And this is, I believe is the Nikon Kit lens for entry level Nikon DSLR
For comparison.
Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED DX II - Review / Test Report

As for the IS/VR, it is nice to have but I will not miss it for shorter focal length lens.

IS will help you in lower light situations though. My thought is that IS is something I like ot have. In many situations, it's not needed. However, when you are in a spot where IS would have made the difference in getting the shot and not getting the shot, it's something you would be glad you had.

IS/VR in real life doesn't aid in low light situations. It only aids in "repairing" camera movement on the photographer side, nothing else. The rest is marketing crap.

You can do more with good camera holding technique than VR *ever* could do at under 100mm. Above that at longer focal lengths, even things like a heart beat will cause camera motion blur at slower shutter speeds and *this* is where IS/VR rules. :)

I guess I'm a photographer in Never Never Land.

The Nikon's 18-55mm lens doesn't have IS, but the Canon's does.

This isn't a Canon v. Nikon issue. How important is IS in a 18-55mm lens?
Nikon does make a real nice 18-55 with IS (they call it VR). I just bought one yesterday.

With my 18-50 Sigma, I have consistently taken perfectly clear motion free shots at 1/2 second. At this level a larger aperture (F/2.8) makes more sense than IR. This cannot be as easily done at 150-200mm. This is where the VR / IS comes in and gets you that once in a lifetime shot that would be impossible without it.

Some of the best lenses in the world under 70mm do not have IS/VR, and there is a reason for that... it is not needed.

Most reactions

Back