How is my fake DoF???

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I've been playing around with some Tilt-shift techniques in an effort to help control DoF in shots where I really can't...

Here is my original uncropped image.

and here is the image cropped with the DoF effect

I know the figure in the back, grass blades in the front, and various other imperfections need to be cloned out, but how does the DoF effect look??? Is it convincing?

Not really convincing. Part of the pole in the background is sharp, the rest is 'blurred'. There's also things further away that are still 'in-focus'.

for being faked, it is not bad. Why not just shoot with a wider aperture though?

If you're a photographer, you'll recognize it as a layer and blur effect; if you're not a photographer, you likely won't notice. it does help to slightly reduce the background distractions.

It looks like you have more control than you used though. Why F8? I would guess F4-5.6 probably would have kept your subject in an acceptably sharp DoF and had more of the background blurred. I probably wouldnt have noticed the blurred faux DoF you did unless you told me though.

Not really convincing. Part of the pole in the background is sharp, the rest is 'blurred'. There's also things further away that are still 'in-focus'.

Yeah that's an interesting point... I hadn't noticed that, I'll have to be more mindful of vertical objects in the future. As far as things being further away, I had the gradient off center just a tad and that's what caused that. I think in the future I'll be able to keep that under control... Thanks for the input...

I shot this at f8 simply because this was my first sequence and I figured it would be easier to work on if the entire photo was sharp and not fading out of focus. It would have been harder to do the layer masking.

Come on people. A wide aperture is not the only key to a shallow DOF. It also depends on focal length and focal distance. Although he had a focal length of 92mm, he appears to have a long focal distance.

Lets pretend he was 100 feet away. At f/8 he would have a DOF of 187 feet. Even if he was at f/5.6 he would still have a DOF of 103 feet.

Why are you "faking" it? Why not just achieve it in camera? It would look a hell of a lot better that way, I'm sure.

If you want that tilt-shift effect, you need to blur it a lot, and I mean A LOT!

Actually I realized that these aren't the best examples. You should be using a telephoto lens to make it look like scale models. I used 20mm lens for this so it doesn't work as well.

DSC_4615.jpg

DSC_4615-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back