How is this done?

mshale

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While browsing some Michael Vincent, I came across a photo where the background seems to have motion while the subject is still. I want to know if it is Shopped, or if its done directly with camera motion.

Here it is: Blurry Background. It's a bit racy, but no nudity, so lookers be warned ;)

Yes, I would say that is digital manipulation. Probably a radial motion blur effect/filter.

I would say they used the Radial Blur filter in photshop, with maybe some simple layer masking added to that.

You can achieve a similar effect in camera:

Simply set a long shutter speed (probably more than a second), and using a zoom lens (any will do, but make sure at the longest end you can frame your subject) zoom "in" (or out depending on preference), to get these "motion lines".

yep, radial blur for sure. if you duplicate the layer, radial blur it, then simply grab the eraser tool and erase the portions of the image you want to be crystal clear you will get this effect.

Simply set a long shutter speed (probably more than a second), and using a zoom lens (any will do, but make sure at the longest end you can frame your subject) zoom "in" (or out depending on preference), to get these "motion lines".

You'd have to take a the first picture using that techinque, then take a second picture of the woman and photoshop them together. If you'd like to be REALLY old-school badass, use a film camera and double exposure it. Won't come out exactly like that, though :D

How is this done?
Well first, you take a photo without thinking about the terrible background.
Then you realize that your background is terrible and try to think of a way to make it better.
Next, mask off your subject and apply some cheesy affect to the background.

;)

Thanks everyone! My guess was a combo of both due the ghost calf (check out her right calf) and she is a bit blurry too.

You'd have to take a the first picture using that techinque, then take a second picture of the woman and photoshop them together. If you'd like to be REALLY old-school badass, use a film camera and double exposure it. Won't come out exactly like that, though :D

I do it all the time. You wont get everything in focus like the original shot, but if the OP wants a more natural shot you can do it.

I never meant you couldn't. I used that same way myself. It's just not possible to have the girl there like that without some sort of editing ;)

Most reactions

Back