how is this done?

coloredcircles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i saw this picture on a portfolio website of a photographer.

from http://eleanorhardwick.com/#commissions

i know that at low shutter speeds, objects in motion are blurred and still objects are focused

but how did the photographer of this photo leave the models on the couch focused while the lights and other still objects around them appear to be moving and blurred?

Last edited:
They zoomed the lens.

Does the other photographer know you "borrowed" their photograph.

Every time someone opens this thread, it can send a back link to the photographer that owns the copyright to that photo. With that, the photographer can trace it right back here to your post.

It happened to a another forum member about a week ago. The photographer who owned the copyright was, ah, not pleased.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/203359-auto-rig-tube-flex-issue-2.html Check out post #17

i didn't use the authors url, don't worry. i screen captured it an re-uploaded it

but thank you for answering my question

They zoomed the lens.

Every time someone opens this thread, it can send a back link to the photographer that owns the copyright to that photo. With that, the photographer can trace it right back here to your post.

It happened to a another forum member about a week ago. The photographer who owned the copyright was, ah, not pleased.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/203359-auto-rig-tube-flex-issue-2.html Check out post #17

yeah that was my bad. i actually know the OP of the photo, he just didn't know it was me. we took it down and offline and all is good.

with that said;
its likely lens zooming and rear curtain sync on the flash to "freeze" the people and make them sharp.

They zoomed the lens.

yeah that was my bad. i actually know the OP of the photo, he just didn't know it was me. we took it down and offline and all is good.

with that said;
its likely lens zooming and rear curtain sync on the flash to "freeze" the people and make them sharp.

thanks, and sorry i added link

:lol: oh boy.

Either way, unregistered work (IE a photo someone puts a copyright symbol on and posts online) with no commercial value, gets little protection, and would be more hassle to fight in court, then it would be beneficial.

hi,

don't know which photo you're all talking about, but if it is the last one from the "Jack Wills Christmas Handbook 2009" from the "Commissions" link, you just have to move your cam while strobing your flash (in this case, from the top left)... if you look closely, their legs are blured too, that means that the light gathered from the legs was mostly ambient light and the light gathered from their faces was mostly the flash.

by looking at the little light strikes, i would say the shutter speed was set to about 1 sec., 2 sec. tops and the cam was panned really slow (see how they are short and wavy).

hope it helps
nacho

ps: if i didnt explain myself let me know and i'll try again, english is not my native language...

:lol: oh boy.

Either way, unregistered work (IE a photo someone puts a copyright symbol on and posts online) with no commercial value, gets little protection, and would be more hassle to fight in court, then it would be beneficial.

This; that is why if you have work that you got paid to do or don't want used just don't post it on the internet. Court costs would out weigh what you MIGHT win.

hi,

don't know which photo you're all talking about, but if it is the last one from the "Jack Wills Christmas Handbook 2009" from the "Commissions" link, you just have to move your cam while strobing your flash (in this case, from the top left)... if you look closely, their legs are blured too, that means that the light gathered from the legs was mostly ambient light and the light gathered from their faces was mostly the flash.

by looking at the little light strikes, i would say the shutter speed was set to about 1 sec., 2 sec. tops and the cam was panned really slow (see how they are short and wavy).

hope it helps
nacho

ps: if i didnt explain myself let me know and i'll try again, english is not my native language...

Here is your answer right here. :thumbup:

Do a google search for 'rear curtain flash photography', there will be many explinations of how its done.

It's not a zoom burst type of photo. It looks like it's just camera shake or intentional sideways movement during a slow shutter hand-held exposure. Sync could be rear or front curtain sync, since there's no logical direction of travel that would make one look wrong and the other look wrong. If it were lens zoom, then all the light trail would be coming from/going towards the center of the frame, but they all move horizontally regardless of where they are in the frame.

She has a really interesting style. I kind of like it. It's very indie/desaturated/cool toned/light flared/low contrast/typical artsy commercial looking, but it's seems more unique than usual.

This is OT, but that photographer is only turning 17 this year. I'm so jealous. She had already developed such a refined sensibility. It will be interesting to see how she develops.

Most reactions

Back