how long have you been a photographer

I hope this thread takes off again. It's great to see how everyone got started.
So, Here's my story.
Took my first photo with my grandfather's polaroid (it was pull apart film can't remember which) when I was 4 (1973). Moved up to an Instamatic. And then my parents bought an SX-70 and I was the only one to use it (1976). Still have it and used it today, Ha ;) . 1978 Parents bought a Pentax K1000 still my personal fav. I used it through high school taking photos for yearbook and that was the first time I stepped into a darkroom. Haven't been in a darkroom since 1991.
1999 went to a HP digicam. 3mp
2002 got a Nikon 8700 because I really didn't want to have to deal with lenses because I would have had to buy everyone I wanted and my wife would have killed me.
Now I'm into Polaroid transfers (the last year) and Gum bichromate prints (the last month) OK my wife still smacks me on a regular basis when I have to buy film and chemicals.:D

How long? 33 years.
Pro or Am? I've sold some photos and I've been laughed at, all on the same day, :D so I'll go with both. Or neither? Hmmmm.
Later,
Toby

Well, I thought I responded to this a few months ago, but I guess not:

I started in college 20 years ago in New York City. I had a Canon AE-1 and 50mm lens, and later some other gear. My favorite was a hand-held off-camera flash. I hated developing my own film, but loved making my own prints.

Being in a dark room with pretty girls at the age of 18 also had it's own rewards.

I continued shooting, but as college ended it became more difficult to get easy darkroom access. I had a girlfriend with a big appartment in Manhattan, and we converted one of the two bathrooms into a darkroom. That relationship ended, and photography became less important as my career took off.

I kept shooting, but only bought little cameras. I got really interested in it again when Photoshop came out, because it gave me the chance to work with pictures while sitting at a desk, not standing and breathing fumes.

About 4-5 years ago I bought a digital SLR, the Canon D60. I've been investing in good lenses (and a LOT of other fun stuff) since then, and recently added a Canon 5D to my line-up.

I wish my wife enjoyed photography as a hobby, but she is supportive of mine. Sometimes it would be nice not to go shooting alone though.

Just over a year. I've sold a few things and would love to make a career out of it eventually, but I've got a long way to go.

Elsapet: Would you mind explaining how you came to make a living from photojournalism? It's an area that I'm interested in but as a discipline it seems like it'd be pretty difficult to get into without knowing someone already in the profession.

Have done point and shoot stuff for a few years. Stepped up to my D50 dSLR in January and hope to eventually turn my hobby into a sustaining business.

Currently very rookie with aspirations of turning pro.

technically by all means i'm still a noob

i bought my first camera a little over a year ago, and it wasn't until December that i did my first B&W shooting and developing/printing

since then i've done a lot more because of ease of access to the campus darkroom and with opportunities to go on trips overseas, such as going to Thailand to help shoot a documentary, i got a lot of really good shots out of that trip (a 90% success rate)

i've never been paid to shoot a photo, and i've never sold a photo, and honestly i don't really care if i do or not, though since right now i'm in a struggle to find money, i'd be more than willing to do anything with photography that'll make money, same with video, although both i'm more inclined to focus on artistic aspects than utilitarian market aspects, but the nature of both involves money, so ya gotta do what ya gotta do

i'm going to Havasu falls this summer with a 120mm camera loaded with color film, so that'll be really cool, it'll be the third time i take a camera somewhere

I've been studying photography for 5 years, will have been 7 by the time I've finished my degree. However I started gaining an interest in photography when I was 7. Didn't get a decent camera till I was 15 though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back