How many of you are "Pros" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling I am on a lot if those lists.

Depends on how you define it...

Very few real Photography Pro's.. maybe a dozen?!

A whole lot of "I don't charge much because I am still learning" Pro's!

Some who seem to think that having a Blog makes them an instant expert Pro, even though they can't take a decent image to save their lives!

Some Hobbyists who do deliver Professional images (could be Pros), and a lot more who don't.

We just lost a real PRO who got tired of the nonsense of rude Noobs thinking they know more than he did... and some others (pro / ex pro) who don't post much anymore!

I reckon that the thing about keen eyed, dedicated pros is that they don't have much time to muck around on forums, they're busy taking photos...professionally.

We just lost a real PRO who got tired of the nonsense of rude Noobs thinking they know more than he did... and some others (pro / ex pro) who don't post much anymore!

I reckon that the thing about keen eyed, dedicated pros is that they don't have much time to muck around on forums, they're busy taking photos...professionally.

There is that... although it is nice when they drop by to share knowledge and experience! :) When you really love something... you might actually spend time talking /posting about it. even when you aren't doing it, right?

And running them off is a bit counterproductive, don't you think?

There is that... although it is nice when they drop by to share knowledge and experience! :) When you really love something... you might actually spend time talking /posting about it. even when you aren't doing it, right?

Absolutely agree, what dorks have been dissing the pros anyway? let's name and shame!

Absolutely agree, what dorks have been dissing the pros anyway? let's name and shame!

nah.. that wouldn't be PC... and would be against forum policy! Somebody might get their little itsy bitsy feelings hurt! ;)

Hobbyist.

I make my money drilling holes in airplanes, but I'd like to supplement that by selling some prints at some point.

I seriously considered quitting my job and having a go at this whole 'professional photographer' thing, but decided against it. The kind of photography I would have to do is not the kind of photography I enjoy doing. Plus, I'm not rich or anything, but I think I make pretty good money. Doing photography full time would require a very drastic lifestyle change for me...
Even now, I don't even care if I get fired or laid off... I am completely out of 'give a ****', lol. Trying to fight the system will wear you down quick, and conforming to the system is mind numbing and can sometimes land you in jail. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have been asked to do by my managers over the years...

I think it's funny how many of you said "depends how you define a pro" when the OP clearly stated for this discussion purpose only, it's where you make your income off it, or something like that.

Jesus people, learn to read.

Ok, berate me now. I need abuse.

I slept in a Holiday Inn last night, so YES I am a PRO

...heeell yeah I'm a pro! Bought all my gear from Best Buy!

nah.. that wouldn't be PC... and would be against forum policy! Somebody might get their little itsy bitsy feelings hurt! ;)

That's right...and that somebody would be ME! After all the warm cozy nights we've spent together, me threatening to ban you and you taunting me, with your wild laugh. hmmph!

The problem with this thread... and ANY thread where the word "professional" comes up, is that it is about people's PERSONAL definitions of "professional". Heck in the ORIGINAL post on this thread, the OP "defines" it. I should start a thread that says "How many of you are professional photographers? And by professional, I mean that you wear a necklace of cheese donuts around your neck while shooting pictures of naked Barbie dolls."

What's more is people get all freakin' bent out of shape over whether or not they get the "honor" of having this or that label.

I swear if I ran this forum I'd hack the code so that any time the word "professional" was posted in a thread it would insta-lock.

:grumpy:

And FYI ... to the OP ... I'm not barking at you, I'm just barking at the situation.

The problem with this thread... and ANY thread where the word "professional" comes up, is that it is about people's PERSONAL definitions of "professional".

I don't really see the problem. The answer is actually very simple. Do you call yourself a professional photographer? Yes or no - whatever you said, that is your answer to this thread.

Everybody might have a slightly different idea of what a pro is, but we all know whether we go around telling everyone we're a pro or not...

The problem with this thread... and ANY thread where the word "professional" comes up, is that it is about people's PERSONAL definitions of "professional". Heck in the ORIGINAL post on this thread, the OP "defines" it. I should start a thread that says "How many of you are professional photographers? And by professional, I mean that you wear a necklace of cheese donuts around your neck while shooting pictures of naked Barbie dolls."

What's more is people get all freakin' bent out of shape over whether or not they get the "honor" of having this or that label.

I swear if I ran this forum I'd hack the code so that any time the word "professional" was posted in a thread it would insta-lock.

:grumpy:

And FYI ... to the OP ... I'm not barking at you, I'm just barking at the situation.

If everyone would just get over themselves and accept my definition as gospel then there wouldn't be any more trouble. I can only do so much when the world is divided thus.

The problem with this thread... and ANY thread where the word "professional" comes up, is that it is about people's PERSONAL definitions of "professional".

I don't really see the problem. The answer is actually very simple. Do you call yourself a professional photographer? Yes or no - whatever you said, that is your answer to this thread.

Everybody might have a slightly different idea of what a pro is, but we all know whether we go around telling everyone we're a pro or not...

But Josh, the OP defined pro as someone making "most of their money from photography" or some such. (I'm not going to go back and read it again because it'll make my blood boil... but trust me... it was something like that)

So yeah, that's the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back