How many of you rarely have your own picture taken?

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
I don't really like having mine taken but i won't stick my hand in the way or anything like that.

What I find frustrating though is that I won't really trust many people if anyone to use my DSLR (apart from the fact it's not insured yet!) that if i go on a trip anywhere my face won't be in any of the pics! what are your thoughts?

Well the thing is, your face isn't in the memories you have, it's what you see. And pictures can be used to evoke the memories and emotions you experienced. It's unlikely they occurred because you saw your own face. So I think it's fine. I don't have my picture taken that often but I don't mind if people do.

I don't think I'm all that photogenic, but I don't mind having my photo taken. I figure it's karma. I don't often have my photo taken though; my friends and family have gotten used to me being there with a camera, so other folks don't snap many pics.

More pictures of me were taken during the Euro meet-up than I have had taken in the rest of my life.
One of the reasons I was attracted to photography was that it meant I could be behind the camera.

I dont mind I guess, used to be shy about it, but we mainly sell cameras where I work now and half the time workmates are using me as a demonstration subject and I don't even know... keep finding random photos of myself plastered all over digicams! Getting used ot it....

Hertz van Rental said:
One of the reasons I was attracted to photography was that it meant I could be behind the camera.

Me too! :mrgreen:

I used to rarely let anyone take my photo. I just hated having my picture taken. After looking through years of family photos, I realized just how few pictures there were of me with my kids as they grew up. Now I make sure that there are lots of photos of me with the ones that I love.

Me too. I prefer being behind the camera. But I love getting my photo taken with my friends, just so I can look back and see how much fun we all used to have.
I wish me and adrian had more photos of us together. But because we hardly ever are together we just couldn't be bothered to take photos when we are in the same city together. hehe. Does that make sense? Ah well.

But I love looking back through photos and seeing myself there. It's just not the same, as seeing a photo that you know you took - so you knew you were there.

Another question - can anyone genuinely act naturally on the wrong :mrgreen: end of the camera? When someone points a camera at me I automatically start thinking about how I should look; sit-up-straight-smile-don't-grin-like-an-idiot-check-hair-move-head-slightly-to-one-side-to-accentuate-jaw :confused: maybe I'm just really narcissistic or something. Anyway it makes me feel uncomfortable, but I don't go out of my way to avoid it. I do have one friend who absolutely will not ever knowingly have his photo taken - every week for nearly a year I made him dive for cover by attempting to take his photo with my phone... which didn't have a camera :mrgreen:.

I guess it also depends on who is taking the photo. If it's a friend or family member most people are ok about it; with strangers it varies. Being in a street photo taken by someone who 'looks like a photographer' is unlikely to bother me; a photo taken with a cameraphone would make me more wary as the motivation is less obvious. On Saturday night a spectacularly drunk girl tapped me repeatedly on the shoulder and then took my photo with her phone when I turned to face her. I'd like to think it's because I'm hot, but she immediately wandered off so I guess not :meh:

We have hardly any photos of me...

I don't really like having my photo taken, but no one in our family uses cameras... And they only have them because I bought them or gave them to them.

We don't have baby photos of me - that upsets me.

Not many of me around,the view finder are a little small to capture this kegger

Hertz van Rental said:

Count me in on that one...

Most reactions

Back