How many on this forum are full time professional photographers

imagemaker46

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
imagecommunications.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This post may have already been asked. How many people on this forum are full time professionals that make 100% of their income with a camera?

It's not a bash against anyone, or a witch hunt, I'm just curious. It won't change my personal opinion about anyone, I won't look down on anyone, or point my finger, or say anything negative, it won't affect how I critique a photo. It's just a simple question.

I'll even start. I make 100% of my income with a camera.

A web cam girl can fit this category then? LOL.

This post may have already been asked. How many people on this forum are full time professionals that make 100% of their income with a camera?

It's not a bash against anyone, or a witch hunt, I'm just curious. It won't change my personal opinion about anyone, I won't look down on anyone, or point my finger, or say anything negative, it won't affect how I critique a photo. It's just a simple question.

I'll even start. I make 100% of my income with a camera.

LOL. I was about to say, no, that would make her some kind of model - but technically, I guess she has to operate the web cam too!

And long may they continue...

I've actually wondered this same thing myself. I have a feeling there's a pretty good mix of pro and ameteur. We're full time - make that more than full time. No 40 hour work weeks in the real world =)

50% of my income comes from taking pictures, the other half from selling cameras.

My husband and I have been full time for just over 8 years now.

How many on this forum are full time professional photographers
I'd guess that it's less than 1% of the members. This is largely a forum that attracts new photographers, thank in-part to our great Google ranking & search-ability.

There are, of course, several full time pros that do stick around here, and that's great.

Myself, I have a day job that is not related to photography and so only make part of my income with photography & teaching photography.

Big Mike, I figured that the number of professionals on here would be fairly low, based on how quickly we get swarmed when anything pro related comes up. I think teaching photography, working in retail selling camera gear(that comes with a knowledge of camera gear, that alot of people looking to buy need to have) Professional photo re-touchers, (not just the ones that advertise on web sites and then hit auto-levels and call it retouched) I have lots of friends that work in retail or teach photography, but also shoot, all of their income is photo related.

On a side note, photo retouching or restoration has really become a lost art when photoshop came in. Some of the re-touchers I worked with years ago were just amazing watching what they could do with air brushes. I'm pretty good with an airbrush when it comes to painting, but trying to retouch a photograph with one, not at my skill level. With photoshop, re-touching is much easier, but still requires a good skill set, and a lot of practice. I don't know if there are even full time re-touchers working anymore, I do know that there are a lot of people that advertise they can re-touch and restore photos, but these are the same ones that also advertise they can shoot everything under the sun and then include the sun. The jacks of all trades and masters of none types.

Imagemaker46, I've been on this forum, on and off for a very long time, (Bennielou is my new name, and I've shown up very seldom here in the last few years until lately.), and I feel that most people are nice to pros once they get to know them. Sure, there is that initial "gang up on the seeming newbie" mentality that goes on, but that's pretty much anywhere. I think most people appreciate the help, when we can give it. We all started somewhere. I started on this forum.

Mike has been around here longer than I have probably, and I'd guess longer than most of the people on this forum. We kinda grew up together in some ways. He's definately a professional photographer regardless of the hours he works per week in photography, or the money he derives in the overall scheme of things. You shouldn't confuse those things. He's as pro as it gets.

I know you didn't want to make this a witch hunt, but that is how these threads always turn out. Being a part timer doesn't make someone less of a shooter. I'd guess that Big Mike could shoot us both under the table.

So what does it matter really? It doesn't.

I say 60% from my job and 40% from the camera.

bennielou, I have no doubt that there are some very good amateurs on this forum, I just wanted to get a small sence of numbers, and Big Mike filled me in on the probably 1%. It really has nothing to do with being a part timer, I know lots of part timers that do great jobs, I was just wondering who did it as a sole source of income. As far as Big Mike shooting us both under the table, I don't know what he shoots, so I can't say.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back