How many on this forum are full time professional photographers

I'm working to set myself up for photography when I retire from my day job. I figure I can retire at ~70, which is sooner than later. Can't stand the thought of not working, but it is becoming less appealing to continue my day job. However at the present, the wages and benies aren't anything to sneeze at..... hell, having a job is a bonus these days.

Started working as a photojournalist (for my college) in 1976. Thirty-five years and a lot of places later, I'm still at it. A long time ago, while freelancing at the Los Angeles Times, one of the other freelancers came up to me and said, "You know, there are probably 200 people out there who would do this job for free, and they actually PAY us! We're special!" He meant that in a good way, as in, we were so fortunate to be able to work at a job that really didn't seem like a job at all. Now, with all the "photo ops" and spokespersons and having to get permission from "corporate" at pretty much any business, it feels more like a job, and I sure couldn't afford to do it for free, but danged if isn't still the best job I can think of.

No matter who's photo forum you visit, you'll find 95 percent are not full time shooters and 5 percent give 95 percent of the guide lines and education to 95 percent who are wannabees

This post may have already been asked. How many people on this forum are full time professionals that make 100% of their income with a camera?

I don't think this is the best way to ask the question.

I DO NOT make 100% of my income from photography yet it is my only job. At my age, one should have some investments since in photography you have to make your own retirement plan :)

I have worked my entire life as an independent, either photo or painting, but it has not been my sole income in quite a while.

But you have spent your life working as a photographer. I understand the retirement plan, no benefit packages at the end of a freelance career.

As great as photography is I wouldn't give up a full time job to try and jump into it with both feet these days.

Trouble is these days even the corporate world isn't stable...I think if I were to hit revenue target with the camera I'm more inclined go towards the direction of generating income from shooting 100%.

So far its strictly a hobby in which I have a lot to learn. As far as a living Im an automobile technician for Cadillac.

I've been full time for 1 yr and 4 mths. I had the corporate gig my whole life and they assisted me with making the leap to full time photog. I'm busting tail but so far I'm hanging in there :lol:

I've been full time for 1 yr and 4 mths. I had the corporate gig my whole life and they assisted me with making the leap to full time photog. I'm busting tail but so far I'm hanging in there :lol:

Just saw your name and had to see what you had to say. When are we going to see more of your work?

And if I get married again, can I fly you to France? LOL

Just saw your name and had to see what you had to say. When are we going to see more of your work?

And if I get married again, can I fly you to France? LOL

I haven't posted any of my images in a while here (or any forum for that matter) in quite a while. I became limited on time and so the time I do have online, I use toward social networking that leads to clients.

It also got discouraging when some people just never have anything positive to say. I believe in constructive critism, but some people on forums are just a**holes. LOL (I do credit some really helpful people in here too for helping me though.) I chat with and show all my work on my Facebook page and I interact with many photographers through my fan and personal page. You can certainly look me up there or on my blog!

And, of course you can fly me to France! You don't even have to get married. :lol:

A few year ago, after a good photog got sick of being ripped on, they put up some of the most iconic photos of all time as their own. Some of the most famous photos ever were called every nasty name in the book, nit picked to hell and back, and basically called, crappy.
After a few dozen pans, the OP admitted who the photos were by (Various-Everywhere from Yervant to Anne Geddes to Ansell Adams to Henri Cartier Bresson), the thread was deleted for heisting photos, but it was too hysterical to watch.

Lesson to all was: You will get some good advice here, but you will also get some really bored people. :)

Last edited:
I make my money with a drill motor and a rivet gun (aircraft mechanic).

A few year ago, after a good photog got sick of being ripped on, they put up some of the most iconic photos of all time as their own. Some of the most famous photos ever were called every nasty name in the book, nit picked to hell and back, and basically called, crappy.
After a few dozen pans, the OP admitted who the photos were by (Various-Everywhere from Yervant to Anne Geddes to Ansell Adams to Henri Cartier Bresson), the thread was deleted for heisting photos, but it was too hysterical to watch.

Lesson to all was: You will get some good advice here, but you will also get some really bored people. :)

Dammit! You ruined my next plan! And who are you calling bored?!

Most reactions

Back