How many photos you delete?

ArtphotoasiA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.corradoprever.photos
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering fellows... how many pics you delete after your field job?

You arrive and sit at your PC then start to delete the pics you are not happy with....

how many in % ???
if you took as example 100 photos how many you will keep ??? how many will be deleted ???

About 75-80% are a keeper - most deletes are blinks, turn-aways, junkies like that. One of these days, I'll get to degree as some great photographers are (95%<).

Out of 100 shots ill keep maybe 20. Horrible I know. lol
But most are just pictures of the same scene trying to adjust the settings right since imma noob.

Out of 100 shots ill keep maybe 20. Horrible I know. lol
But most are just pictures of the same scene trying to adjust the settings right since imma noob.
When I started shooting I had 10% keepers :)

Depends - shooting friends and family, just around the house or various parts of life I end up keeping 80%. When I shoot a studio session with a model I will keep about 20%, and whittle it down further to three or four good shots.

I never delete photos. The % of good ones varies greatly. Generally speaking Commercial work: 90% keepers. Model work 75% keepers. Personal work 10% keepers.

Love & Bass

Last edited:
If I'm out shooting "artistically" or chasing the animals I delete 80-90% of the shots as I'm still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. most doesn't.

Family/vacation/ etc... I keep almost everything even if it isn't the best just because it typically has some nostalgic value.

shooting for the paper I usually cut my initial shoot down to 10%, then pick 4 or 5 out of that to turn in to my editor who then picks one or two for print.

So when I shoot 100 photos, my final product would come down to 1% :lol:

If I'm shooting photos for someone I'm going to deliver a set to (say, like a band) I usually cut it down to about 10% of the original photos depending on how many I took. My typical "set" I'd deliver to someone would be between 24 and 36. I like to keep a set to what I refer to myself as a "roll," as in roll of film sizes. Shooting a typical set I may take 200 photos, so I pick the 24 best ones out of that.

Editing is a real skill. nothing annoys me more than sifting through some 80 photo set of some event when there's only 10 good ones. If its not "a good one" dont include it! I personally believe every photo you display, or show to people, or include in a set should all be portfolio quality and able to stand on its own.

I never actually delete anything. I may have as few as 5% keepers on a bad day but I still hold on to them. Sometimes you look back a few months later and notice something you like about one of them, play with it a little and get a better idea of how to do it next time. Other times, when I have a heavy shooting day, (for me three or four hundred, don't know how you wedding guys do 700+) my brain starts to melt about halfway through looking at all of them. I usually miss a decent gem or two that way. And if nothing else, their important for me to hang on to so that when I improve and can see how bad I used to be.

I delete the really bad stuff, out of focus, way too dark and way too over exposed. Now I keep a lot of the marginal stuff because I find that,as my craft improves I keep finding parts in those photos that I can save or use in something else (like creating an HDR-that's rare though). I also have a ton of disk storage so I can be liberal. Now my big problem is Digital Asset Management (DAM) so that I know what I have.

I scanned in all of my old film stuff and some of it was pretty bad, but I have started going back to see if I can improve the problems. Because I have some pretty high pixel counts sometimes I can save one that is valuable to me historically.

depens on what I'm shooting. If I am shooting people I'll keep 75%... if it is architecture, I take so many I'll delete 75%

60-70% are keepers,
1% are Awesome.
0.1% of my photos are good enough they should be on my website
100 parts per million of my photos are printed out in 40" wide Kodak metalic paper and hung on my wall.

:lol:

I only shoot 1 photo per engagement, and it is so amazingly flawless that I keep 2.

:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back