How many pictures can I ask him to edit for me?

tapka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a new model. My good friend is a professional (and somewhat famous) photographer. He offered to do my photoshoot for me for free. He took about 500 pictures - headshots, lingerie, glamour, nude, etc. He told me to give him my "edit list" - the pictures I would like him to edit. My list is long - like 60 pictures. Out of 500 pictures, 60 does not seem that much... but I don't know if it's too much to ask. I don't want to be a bother. I asked him how many should be in my edit list. He said he will edit as many as I would like. But I don't want to be a bother. From the looks of it, he is editing each photo between 3-5 minutes. So... is giving him an "edit list" of 62 pictures too much to ask of a friend? Thank you for your advice!

They are not 500 different pictures. There were 6 wardrobe changes. So pretty much they were similar pictures with different variations.

Last edited:
depends on how in depth he is editing them. remember, the more you give him the less he will probably edit each one.

did he give you 500 different pictures? or are a few of them very similar with slight adjustments like focus or composition? i'd say 60 is probably about right.

I would split your list into thirds.
First group would be the ones you want the most attention , and on down th line.
This gives the guy an out. If he has no problem doing them all, I am sure he will do them all.
But like I said this gives him the option of being the super nice guy.

I work that way. I will exceed your expectations, unless they are greater than my desire to meet your demands. :sexywink:

Ah! Sixty isnt really alot. Did he have you sign a model release? If that is the case it is a trade for portfolio so, the exchange is reasonable. After all he will be using the images as well for his portfolio.

Really I'd approach this from a portfolio standpoint. When you go to an audition and show your book how many images does the model scout, director etc want to see? The answer is probably around 20 and certainly no more than 25. So keeping this in mind how many images do you already have in your book that aren't as good as these? If the answer is 10 then you need about another 10 images, include a list of 15 so you have a few extra, thank him for the work he did, tell him how amazing the images are and ask it he'd retouch a few more in the future if the need arises. Oh, and remember to take some of his business cards and give them to everyone you know.

I feel there is no need for 60 edited photos from this session, even with six different wardrobes. Generally speaking a photographer will take the single best shot from a session for his portfolio, perhaps the best two if they are appreciably different. The key to a good portfolio is to show the cream of the crop and and to show variety - you don't want to appear as though you've only had one good shoot. Also, even if they were strong shots from different photographers I don't think you'd need a portfolio 60 shots large. Maybe if you really are pursuing modeling in a huge variety of areas (commercial, fashion, glamour, art nudes, etc) then you might want to put together portfolios for each (perhaps with some overlap), so a moderately large number from this session might be useful, but I still don't think you'd need 60+.

What I would recommend is to narrow it down to perhaps a dozen or so, average around two shots per look. If you think about what you're really trying to show overall in a portfolio you'll start to realize that you don't need that many to show off what you bring to the table. Headshots - you'll want some, but unless you have drastically different looks (say, simple girl next door makeup in one, radical high-fashion makeup in another; hair up in one, hair down in another), having extra doesn't bring anything new to the table. You'll want some full-length shots which do a good job of presenting your body. You'll also want some full-length shots which show that you can nail interesting poses - this is probably where you'll want to spend the bulk of your portfolio slots; you are who you are (headshots and representative body shots), but the variety of what you can do might be broad.

Have you seen your friend really edit a keeper? I'm curious how you arrived at the 3-5 minutes per photo estimate. It's possible it's as little as that - it's probably more likely that a 3-5 minute edit gets a darn good photo, but allowing more time gets a damn great one. You'd be much better off with a smaller number of great shots than a large number of decent ones. If you really can't narrow down those 62 any further, I'd give the list to him and ask him to pick the best (small number) to really edit.

well if the shots are all shot in a similar location and he knows what hes doing he can set an action in photoshop and apply the settings to batch image edit hundreds of shots.

Which is good for global edits, but not local retouching.

Bitter nailed it again. Split it into priorities.

I think if the edits you want are at least just basics and not any brushing/cloning it should be fine. He can batch up 5 or 10 at a time. Then, as Bitter Jeweler said, give him a list of a dozen or so that you want him to spend more time on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back