How many times a month should I do a contest to promote my business?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How many photographers do contests where their client may recieve 10% off or more on their shoot? How many times a month should I do it where I don't really loose money but i'm not loosing clients either? Where do photographers get their pricing? I'm kinda new at the business aspect of it so i'm not sure how much to charge. I dont want to charge too much where clients wont come but at the same time I would like to make something of it and not loose money. I'm not stingy when it comes to money because I like having clients say I have good prices and they would refer me to their friends, but I would like to move up on my prices to be able to make a profit and build my business by buying props and advanced equitment. What do ya'll suggest?

These aren't really questions anyone but you can answer. You get your pricing by calculating how much it costs for you to operate your business + make whatever profit you wish to earn. Having "good prices" is not really something you'll want people to say when they hear your name... You'll get stuck with "stingy" clients that will disappear in anger the day you raise your prices. Most people see a photographer that charges $100 and one that charges $1000 and without even looking at their work will automatically assume the guy charging $1000 is exponentially better than the one charging $100.

Another thing you need to keep in mind when pricing yourself is that most people simply can't tell the difference between a good photograph and a great photograph... A lot of people earning big bucks in the photography world aren't doing it because they're great photographers, they're doing it because they are perceived to be due to the ability to market themselves as such.

Think of companies like Apple... they sell laptops that probably cost $300 to make for $2000+. Why? because thanks to great marketing on their behalf they are perceived to be better by a lot of people who buy them even though they technically aren't...

I would say enter as many contests monthly as the number of times you have cross-posted this same,exact question here today...

Thank you Chris! I like your answer. Imagemaker, I'm not full-time. I'm just starting out with the business aspect of it trying to get some opinions on things. Derrel, there is no need to be rude. I was told by someone in another room that I would prolly get more answers asking these questions in a different room. I'm sorry I "cross-posted" but I wasnt getting any answers so I was trying other rooms. I also dont know how to delete posts yet. I just started on this forum and if you want to be rude go somewhere else and do it because I wont put up with it. If you dont have an answer for my questions you dont have to answer my threads.

As I said in your other thread...

I suggest you read a book, take a class, or attend a workshop. I have worked hard to build my business, and I'm not going to hand over information to someone who has written a list of questions they are too lazy to research themselves.

I have researched and I have asked my close photographer friends. I just wanted to get a take on what other photographers in other cities charge.

I have researched and I have asked my close photographer friends. I just wanted to get a take on what other photographers in other cities charge.

Unfortuantely, your original posts sounds like you are asking us to build your business for you. The only thing you did NOT ask was how to lay the brick to build your studio.

No just asking for ideas on where to even begin.

Like a poster said above, most clients do not know the difference between a "good" photo and a "great photo." I just started in this business a short time ago and have been able to deliver. I am brash and I toot my own horn so to speak. I tell my clients that I am more than worth the money they are shelling out. "There are photographers out there charging more than me. Some charging less than me. Some are good and a couple, my dog could take better photos. But none of them are better than me." That is actually part of my pitch. Am I the best? Probably not, but I believe I am. I don't do contests or off the wall promotions, but I never pass up an opportunity to hand out a card or sell myself. I will walk into a salon and offer my services and more often than not book a gig. I see what the best photgraphers in my city are charging andthat is what I go with because I am just as good or better than any of them.

Once every 3 months would be a good start. TIP: whenever you start a contest, write a press release. That PR could really do a serious plug to your biz if written and distributed properly.

Most reactions

Back