How much do conflict photogs make on an assignment?

slackercruster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have an idea how a conflict photogs pay is structured? From the little I know it seems freelancers pay their own way and speculate they can sell some photos to news agencies. What about hired cams that the agency commissions to cover a short term conflict or disaster for say a week or two? Does this type of reportage provide an up front premium in pay for the photog over less dangerous coverage?

One answer is "not enough"

Brave group of people who head towards where everyone else is running from.

Are you interested in being a conflict photographer?

Nope, too old. Maybe if I was young and healthy. I like action, but with how I shoot with a superwide in peoples faces I probably would not last long in a war zone. Just wondering how they get paid.

I saw a portfolio of one of them by chance and my question stems from that. Of course you know how it is with photogs. One actor summed it up..."if they didn't pay me I'd still act for free." I think with war photogs it is in their blood. They get addicted to action.

Yeah I wouldn't head out to a conflict zone to be a photographer, but if something ever goes off in my area, such as what is happening in Ferguson, you can sure bet I will be out there with my camera.

I was at an event where photographer Mark Wallace was speaking and he spoke about James Nachtwey the war photographer. It was amazing to learn about the man. He is credited with saving millions with his images. Providing a glimpse into a reality that sparked large humanitarian efforts after his images showed up on the cover of NYT.

Not me. I like willing subjects who pay me. If they are good looking, even better. Sometimes I even bring snacks and feed the clients.

We had a combat photographer with my grunt unit for a couple weeks in Vietnam. He went on patrol with us and saw the same sh*t as the rest of us. And don't think he didn't grab a rifle when it seemed to be a better idea. I got my first ever camera from him, a Minolta 35mm. Traded for it with 3 Marine Corps K-Bar knives.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back