How much do you rely on Auto Settings?

Hi all, I'm new here, nice to meet you..

Not to say i'm correct but imho, I'd prefer not to rely much on auto-settings. To improve, you need to expose yourself more on everything in photography field. Experience it rather than just plain reading on theories.

The more you test and adjust the settings on different situation, the more closer for you to master photography skills.

This is just what I did since i started my dream as a photographer, might not apply to everybody :p

Cheers!
Adam

this opinion is good if a noob doesn't mind missing shots.... If I just bought a camera and took it to a family party I don't think I'd be cracking out the M mode....

balance is good...... I park my camera in P mode so i can get a quick shot if needed... if I have time to shape the shot, I go straight to M.... I don't use aperture or shutter priority modes very often because I use M...

I never use AUTO or any of the preset modes..... but people should use whatever makes them happy....

Definitions of professional on the Web:
  • [SIZE=-1]
  • engaged in a profession or engaging in as a profession or means of livelihood; "the professional man or woman possesses distinctive qualifications ...
  • a person engaged in one of the learned professions
  • an athlete who plays for pay
  • master: an authority qualified to teach apprentices
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
  • A professional can be either a person in a profession (certain types of skilled work requiring formal training / education) or in sports (a sportsman / sportwoman doing sports for payment). Sometimes it is also used to indicate a special level of quality of goods or tools.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
  • The Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services sector comprises establishments that specialize in performing professional, scientific, and technical activities for others. These activities require a high degree of expertise and training. ...
    eadiv.state.wy.us/i&e/i&egloss.htm[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
  • Occupations that require knowledge in a field of science or learning typically acquired through education or training pertinent to the specialized field, as distinguished from general education. ...
    www.opm.gov/feddata/demograp/PartThree.doc[/SIZE]

I think all of us understand the literal definition of "professional." I think that in photography, however, the term is twisted in various ways that often contradict these definitions- if someone makes his or her living by photography, he or she is a "pro" by the first definition, even if he or she uses a point-and-shoot. This could possibly contradict the last definition if said "pro" lacks specialized knowledge. The marketing of "professional" cameras to amateur users has also contributed to this, as many non-professionals (by any definition above) have been convinced that they need features designed to serve the needs of working professionals.

As a result, I think that many new photographers want to be "like a pro,"
in which case the "pro" is not a professional photographer at all but one who beahves according to certain patterns like only using M mode, using manual focus, having certain (expensive) equipment, or others. In many cases, this is both out of touch with how real "pros" operate and an obstacle to improving one's photography.

Another thing..Why would you take the time to set your settings to the same thing one of the modes would do??

For example..If you want f/2.8, you want your shutter speed to be (lets say..) 800th to get a decent exposure. If you set your mode to Av, then it will set your shutter speed at 800th for you....then you don't have to dial down! Of course that doesn't apply if you want your exposure to be different than what your camera wants...But for general shooting, using P, Tv, or Av, saves you time, and gives you the same results that M would.

I think all of us understand the literal definition of "professional." I think that in photography, however, the term is twisted in various ways that often contradict these definitions- if someone makes his or her living by photography, he or she is a "pro" by the first definition, even if he or she uses a point-and-shoot. This could possibly contradict the last definition if said "pro" lacks specialized knowledge. The marketing of "professional" cameras to amateur users has also contributed to this, as many non-professionals (by any definition above) have been convinced that they need features designed to serve the needs of working professionals.

As a result, I think that many new photographers want to be "like a pro,"
in which case the "pro" is not a professional photographer at all but one who beahves according to certain patterns like only using M mode, using manual focus, having certain (expensive) equipment, or others. In many cases, this is both out of touch with how real "pros" operate and an obstacle to improving one's photography.

Yeah, I actually posted it because it was interesting that not all the definitions were about "being paid", which is actually what I expected when I looked it up.

I mean definitions are definitions... it's not as if what Webster says solely defines what people think of or mean when they say something (though sometimes I wish it was that simple). :)

I would suggest that you learn manual first then when you understand shutter speed and aperture you can let the camera work for you. :wink:

Another thing..Why would you take the time to set your settings to the same thing one of the modes would do??

For example..If you want f/2.8, you want your shutter speed to be (lets say..) 800th to get a decent exposure. If you set your mode to Av, then it will set your shutter speed at 800th for you....then you don't have to dial down! Of course that doesn't apply if you want your exposure to be different than what your camera wants...But for general shooting, using P, Tv, or Av, saves you time, and gives you the same results that M would.

I think this is an example what some people have been complaining about with some photographers... "Let the camera figure it out!"

The reasson you don't just always let the camera do the work, is because while the camera will usually expose the shot in a manner that is technically acurate (not over or underexposed), it may do it in a way that is artistically less pleasing than if the photographer selected it manually. It may also fail to account for certain idiosyncracies of the situation, such as the "sweet spot" on a lens.

For example, my camera tends to go for widest aperature possibly given the focal length and the lighting, and take that shot. This looks like utter crap if I happen to want tons of the picture in focus... or even if there are two subjects, both really close to me, and the second one only a foot behind... or if my lense happens to be not as good at that f-stop.

This isn't really a religious issue here... it's a fact. Let's call it Russo's Law of Manual vs. Program: If you have the capability, knowledge and the time to shoot manual, you're more likely to get the best possible shot in doing so. If you are lacking in any of those three areas, then program mode gives you a better chance and you should use that.

Print that out and stick it up on your wall somewhere.

I took a course on social styles yesterday and have been identified as a driver/driver, so rather than listen to the teachings I've decided to fully embrace it and go autocratic on everyone.

Woot. :lmao:

I think this is an example what some people have been complaining about with some photographers... "Let the camera figure it out!"

The reasson you don't just always let the camera do the work, is because while the camera will usually expose the shot in a manner that is technically acurate (not over or underexposed), it may do it in a way that is artistically less pleasing than if the photographer selected it manually. It may also fail to account for certain idiosyncracies of the situation, such as the "sweet spot" on a lens.

For example, my camera tends to go for widest aperature possibly given the focal length and the lighting, and take that shot. This looks like utter crap if I happen to want tons of the picture in focus... or even if there are two subjects, both really close to me, and the second one only a foot behind... or if my lense happens to be not as good at that f-stop.

This isn't really a religious issue here... it's a fact. Let's call it Russo's Law of Manual vs. Program: If you have the capability, knowledge and the time to shoot manual, you're more likely to get the best possible shot in doing so. If you are lacking in any of those three areas, then program mode gives you a better chance and you should use that.

Print that out and stick it up on your wall somewhere.

I took a course on social styles yesterday and have been identified as a driver/driver, so rather than listen to the teachings I've decided to fully embrace it and go autocratic on everyone.

Woot. :lmao:

I see what you are saying, (And I don't want to talk too much, because I am still somewhat of a beginner) however, I find myself setting the exposure compensation a lot. For difficult things for my camera to meter (Like sunsets), I usually lock my exposure on something, or adjust the compensation..
I often change my apeture to the sweet spot too. f/4 looks really crappy with the lens I use mostly. I'm not sure if other DSLRs do this, but to get the 'sweet spot' on my lens I will move the dial to close the apeture a little bit, and it automatically adjusts the shutter speed to match the apeture.
Pretty much, if my camera is on a tripod I will take the time to use manual. For everything else I use Av, or P mostly...and sometimes Tv

All this debate over details and techniques is fine.

But here's my take: I've been a serious photographer for more than 40 years. Before that, I used to carry my dad's photo equipment around in a huge wooden box to help him take photographs.

My first 35mm camera had no light meter and was completely manual - focus, shutter, aperture, film advance, film rewind - everything!

Over the years, as technology advanced, so did I. Today I shoot with one of two Nikon DSLRs or my trusty little Canon S3is.

Here's the point: In the 1960s we had no choice but to use manual settings - and therefore to learn how and why they worked. Today we have CHOICES! All the way from fully manual to fully automatic.

The only criterion should be that we know enough about photography and our specific equipment to choose wisely in order to capture the image we had in mind. If that requires manual, fine. If it can be done with any variation of automatic settings (Except the dreaded and nasty GREEN BOX, of course!), that's fine too.

Most reactions

Back