How much is a fair?

NikonNewbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So,
I'm getting asked by some people to take their family portraits, so I must be doing something right...
but I don't want to keep doing them for free...what would be a fair price to ask for ...for amateur photography?
say I have to drive 20-30 miles...a family of 4, and then, I dont have to go anywhere and photograph a family of 5 and 5 dogs, then each kid individually....
is it wise to use a rate for travel and then just charge for each pic they like?
thanks for all your help

I wouldn't call it a rate for travel, I'd call it covering expenses, what ever they are, plus a small margin.

Add up how much it costs you do to do the shoot, add a small amount for equipment, a modest margin and you're set to go. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want.

Thanks for that info...I dont want to charge to someone too much and they dont' like the pics, and I dont want to charge so little that it will cost me money...
so if it will take 20 for gas to get there and back...do you think it's fair to just ask for 30 and then have them pick the pics they want from my site (it's password protected for people other then friends) and then charge for each picture...that way they don't pay for the stuff they didnt like? and is 10 a photograph too much?
I would love to have repeat work, and I know I'm not the best, but with all the practice I'm getting I imagine I'll just learn more and get better, so I don't want to overcharge anyone at all.

Most reactions

Back