How much is that doggie in the window...

I like the shot w/ screen in place and broken caulk. Has an urban street feel to it. Have you thought of upping the contrast w/ blacker blacks and whiter whites?

I like the shot w/ screen in place and broken caulk. Has an urban street feel to it. Have you thought of upping the contrast w/ blacker blacks and whiter whites?
Oh my....this is one technique that seems so simple to do but I constantly fail miserably at it. So much so I delete my images in disgust. I was wondering if you don't mind sharing your techniques for this task. Maybe use the above image as the foundation to do so. If not, no problem. Usually, I attempt to do so in Post but if it can be done a better way my eyeballs will be stuck on your words.

Last edited:
Here's a quick edit of a screenshot copy of your initial post, not the best original to start with. There's no correct answer but it's less gray overall than your 1st shot, and the puppy's clearer than your 2nd edit. I adjusted contrast, highlights, shadows and structure.
BTW, I really love this shot, the forlorn mood of being trapped inside, and the urban feel.

Urban Puppy
urban puppy2.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a quick edit of a screenshot copy of your initial post, not the best original to start with. There's no correct answer but it's less gray overall than your 1st shot, and the puppy's clearer than your 2nd edit. I adjusted contrast, highlights, shadows and structure.
BTW, I really love this shot, the forlorn mood of being trapped inside, and the urban feel.

Urban Puppy
View attachment 244874
Thank you! I always save the raw images, so I can go back and do over and over again. Practice makes... better... :)

Thank you! I always save the raw images, so I can go back and do over and over again. Practice makes... better...
I just want to know how did you get the doggie to pose for you :) Is it ok to share? My cat, snickers, loves dogs for some reason. I just babysit my friend's dog for a week and they were like best buddies.

snickers-yawn.jpg

Taken with FujiFilm X-S10 - 55MM Fuji Lens

Last edited:
I just want to know how did you get the doggie to pose for you :) Is it ok to share? My cat, snickers, loves dogs for some reason. I just babysit my friend's dog for a week and they were like best buddies.

I was outside working, and noticed that she would push up the blinds with her nose so that she could see what was going on outside. I sez to myself, self, ya gotta get that picture. Yes, you can share. Nice pic of the cat!

so cute .. geez pull up the blinds for this fellow.. theres so much to see..

I took a couple more pictures this morning. Lighting conditions are much different, with sunlight filtering through the trees. I worked on trying to get a balanced picture.
f/8 1/400 ISO 200 70mm
DoggieInWindow2021060601b by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

f/8 1/400 ISO 200 50mm
DoggieInWindow2021060602b by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr
There is something magical about the initial photo you posted. The mood is perfect. I'd take the time in post editing to make a really good photo for your Flickr page.

There is something magical about the initial photo you posted. The mood is perfect. I'd take the time in post editing to make a really good photo for your Flickr page.
Thank you! With the lake trail under water, I'll have time to work on that, and learn my LR and PS tools better.

I liked the first pic just fine. The dog appeared a little sad to me so the greyness was fitting. A different pic and I would've said to boost the whites & blacks and decrease the grey.

Most reactions

Back