How much is too much?

Mayo

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was board yesterday and was rummaging thru my shed looking for something to tinker with. That's when I found a shop vac tube extension. Hmmm! What can I do with this. :scratch: Then it hit me. I have some manual macro tubes I don't use anymore. The vac tube was just the right size and thickness to be able to cut threads into it. So after some measuring, I put the vac tube on my lathe and started cutting. It fits perfectly. I was very eager to try it out and to my surprise it worked great. But since it is smooth and reflective in it, I'm getting unwanted light bouncing around. So I took it apart and painted the inside black matte. I haven't tried it yet since its been painted due to work but I will tonight. Now my question is, how long is to long? It measures 508mm and that is just the tube with no lens on it.

here it is beside a 55-200 kit lens

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 154
Interestingggggg. I have no idea but would love to see the results.

Assuming the plane of focus is outside the lens, that plane will be very, very close to the lens, I suspect. In effect, you will have created a microscope. And that means you need LOTS and LOTS of light to get any kind of meaningful exposure. Heck, even to see the subject and achieve focus, you'll need a very bright light shining on the subject. Of course, this also means that focusing is done with a focusing rail, and with the type of magnification you'll be getting, the whole thing will need to be rock solid to avoid motion blur.

Assuming the plane of focus is outside the lens, that plane will be very, very close to the lens, I suspect. In effect, you will have created a microscope. And that means you need LOTS and LOTS of light to get any kind of meaningful exposure. Heck, even to see the subject and achieve focus, you'll need a very bright light shining on the subject. Of course, this also means that focusing is done with a focusing rail, and with the type of magnification you'll be getting, the whole thing will need to be rock solid to avoid motion blur.

Using the 55-200mm, the focus plane to my surprise was about 1ft from the glass.????... And yes it needs a lot of light. Ill post some pics tonight when I get back home and play around with it.

Ok.. As promised here are two pics using the tube. I used my 18-55mm and the subject was nearly on the glass. Tomorrow ill go back to the 55-200mm and get some more test shots. It needs a lot of work to make it useful. But with a good stable mount and a better lighting source I'm sure I could get good results. The light I used for the flower was a 10watt LED flashlight.

yes! It was very hard focusing it and was very sensitive to movement. But I was able to get a recognizable picture of pollen.

My subjects where a flower and a lit LED.

Sorry if the uploads are not right. I'm still learning to export from lightroom.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 139
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 151
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 141
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg