How much of an upgrade is the 580EX mk II?

Neil S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own the 580EX, and was just wondering how much of an upgrade it would be for me to get the mk II?

I read some reviews and know it has weather sealing, metal mount, ETTL-II, etc.

My question I guess is if the improved metering will really make that much of a difference.

I dont know that much about lighting, and need all the help I can get in this area.

Would the mk II be more "idiot proof" and easier to use?

Also by buying one, I would then have the capability to use two flashes if I ever wanted to (one on the camera, and one off to the side).

Advice/thoughts?

I haven't used a speedlight in an auto mode in years.

I haven't purchased a camera makers speedlight in a couple of years either.

Visit www.strobist.com and click on the Lighting 101 archives tab and start reading.

I just use the camera in manual mode, the speedlight(s) in manual mode, radio triggers, and keep the speedlights off the camera.

I'd keep the 580EX and get a couple of $90 Vivitar 285HV's and some eBay radio triggers.

Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 - B&H Photo Video

?ISHOOT?PT-04 C Wireless Remote Radio Flash Trigger?3RX - eBay (item 270623248413 end time Oct-15-10 23:36:26 PDT)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I haven't used a speedlight in an auto mode in years.

I haven't purchased a camera makers speedlight in a couple of years either.

Visit www.strobist.com and click on the Lighting 101 archives tab and start reading.

I just use the camera in manual mode, the speedlight(s) in manual mode, radio triggers, and keep the speedlights off the camera.

I'd keep the 580EX and get a couple of $90 Vivitar 285HV's and some eBay radio triggers.

Vivitar 285HV Flash 233965 - B&H Photo Video

?ISHOOT?PT-04 C Wireless Remote Radio Flash Trigger?3RX - eBay (item 270623248413 end time Oct-15-10 23:36:26 PDT)

Ty for the advice.

I will look into this.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I own the 580EX, and was just wondering how much of an upgrade it would be for me to get the mk II?

I read some reviews and know it has weather sealing, metal mount, ETTL-II, etc.

My question I guess is if the improved metering will really make that much of a difference.

I dont know that much about lighting, and need all the help I can get in this area.

Would the mk II be more "idiot proof" and easier to use?

Also by buying one, I would then have the capability to use two flashes if I ever wanted to (one on the camera, and one off to the side).

Advice/thoughts?
I like this website because he often compares to similar products.
Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash Review

I like this website because he often compares to similar products.
Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash Review

I always wondered if all the gear that guy reviews is just stuff that he bought?

It seems that way.

If so he must be very rich, because he owns like all the EF lenses lol.

You can tell from the pictures of his house and property that hes probably really loaded.

Most reactions

Back