How much of the image quality is in the body?

The old adage about "the weakest link" holds true in image quality as much as anything else. If you've got poor quality glass you can put it on the best full frame camera and image quality will suffer. Great fast glass - but a camera with poor ISO performance and yup! - poor image quality.

The old adage about "the weakest link" holds true in image quality as much as anything else. If you've got poor quality glass you can put it on the best full frame camera and image quality will suffer. Great fast glass - but a camera with poor ISO performance and yup! - poor image quality.
The exception would be the poor ISO performer at it's peak ISO.

Photographer aside, I think the tripod has more to do with image quality than either the lens or the camera.

I'm not sure that the quality of a tripod has more effect on image quality
perhaps for long exposures but for many if not most situations the camera and lens seems more important

A tripod, like the other tools we use, has a place and a time. If conditions allow for a shutter speed of 500 or a 1000 then the tripod just becomes something to hold the camera while I go for a beer.

Would I do well to sell my old canon rebel xti body, my 75-300 II, my 50mm 1.8 II and my 18-55 ii and put that towards a lens? What lens has a great all around focal length between 17 and 300 that I could keep on most of the time that would cost around 250? Or am I asking too much?

70-200mm if you can swing it. I had the f4, but lusted after the 2.8. Awesome lens with or without IS.

Most reactions

Back