How much should I ask for an event in Austria?

Kolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I am a new member :D

I must cover a commercial event in a hotel function room, featuring 3 hours for around 70 photographs in CD. How much should I ask for? I came to Austria a few weeks ago.

Thank you very much in advance!

The simple answer is 'anything you want', 'will you get paid?' is a whole other matter.

The straight business approach is to determine what all of your costs are going to be, determine how much your time is worth to you, add any profit you need to make, and finally add any 'value added' your name carries.

Some photographers might charge $500 while others might require a $5000 deposit just to get started.

(Did you travel to Austria as a requirement of this assignment?)

If you just arrived there, you likely got a scam email... I'll pay you this, you forward this on, etc.

...(Did you travel to Austria as a requirement of this assignment?)

Of course I didn´t, should had known the fee before taking one step :))

I met very seldom photographers that get 5.000 euros as down payment (for an event, I mean no weddings). What I needed to know is the common rate. Thank you!

If you just arrived there, you likely got a scam email... I'll pay you this, you forward this on, etc.

I did not just arrive, I´m here since two months ago. And the event is arranged by an european embassy, they asked me for an estimate, so there´s no scam offering :)) Thank you!

We are not trying to be funny or facetious. It's just that it is nearly impossible to answer 'how much should I charge?' questions. I don't know what your fixed and variable costs are and I don't know anything about your market or your profit expectations. We also have no idea just what kind of product your client is asking for and how much post process and production you will have to do.

You may not know any photographers that require a $5000 down payment, does not mean they are not any in your market.

For a commercial event I would not only expect to be paid for my time, talent, and equipment, I would also expect to be paid use licensing fees for the commecial use of my photographs.

Last edited:
Euro Embassy = HUGE $$$$$$ - aim high, if they query why you can always drop the price, say it was a typo or something!

Good luck

Do it for free, after all this is only a hobby ? ;)

...You may not know any photographers that require a $5000 down payment, does not mean they are not any in your market.
Yes, and surely there are people 6 feet tall in Austria, but that is not the common size, isn't it? Don't be angry! :flower:

Last edited:
For a commercial event I would not only expectr to be paid for my time, talent, and equipment, I would also expect to be paid use licensing fees for the commecial use of my photographs.

I will sell the pictures to the embassy (the commercial office), not the traders at the testing. Moreover, it is the sort of pics that ministry webs want, not marks. Thank you!

Euro Embassy = HUGE $$$$$$ - aim high, if they query why you can always drop the price, say it was a typo or something!

Good luck

Nice advice, thank you! :lol:

Do it for free, after all this is only a hobby ? ;)
Wonderful observation! Now I´ll try and go to the best restaurants to have lunch for free, adducing that cuisine is my hobby.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back