How much should I price for a photoshoot for a birthday party for a group of girls?

jennifer33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there! I've been asked for the first time to do a paid photoshoot. I am only 16 and a junior in highschool which is why I have no idea as to what is reasonable to price. I was referred to the mother of the birthday girl by another friend, and the mother is very impressed with my photography. There will be about 9 girls, from 13-14 and they have requested an outdoor photoshoot at a park with one casual outfit, and one dressy outfit. A theme is still to be decided. All of this is fine with me.

The only dilemma is I have no idea how much is okay to price. Although I am only 16, I have much experience with fashion photography and portraiture because I have been taking photos of my outfits multiple times a week for 5 months straight now. So I have done self portraits for myself over 50 times now. I just mean to clarify that I am not another beginner photographer who is not too sure what they are doing, so I do believe I should be compensated fairly, despite my age.

But at the same time, I feel that I am in a bit of an awkward position to name a price since this is someone else's parent, and not one of my highschool peers. The mother said we could talk over the phone about a price, so I believe she expects me to have some sort of idea about how much I want to charge. I have no idea though :meh: I do not want to give too cheap of a price, nor do I want to scare the mom away! :p I have another 17 year old friend who has been paid $200 for doing senior portraits, and my photography skills are much more developed than hers are to be honest. And keep in mind that I am now shooting for 9 girls, not one person. I am also trying to save money for my college tuition so it is very important to me that I do not charge too low for my services /:

What would you say is a reasonable price for me to quote? I don't expect to be paid as much as a photographer at a professional studio would be paid, which is why the mother probably came to ask around locally.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Jennifer

Not sure how much time and effort will go into this, but I think you could get $40 per person. I mean, if this is a group shot of 9, then a second group shot of 9, and 10 frames of each girl, then $40 per girl would be fair. If this is say, nine, 30-minute photo shoots, this job would probably be worth $55 per participant...

Pricing depends a bit on WHO is footing the bill...unless the mother is quite wealthy, $40 to $55 per "guest" is going to induce sticker shock...if the guests are footing the bill, or part of the bill, the price could be maintained at $40 to $50 per head, and the mother would pay say 1/2, the nine girls the other half, say at $25 per girl...I dunno...have you talked price with the mother? Does she want to make a big show out of this party? OR, worse, does she thin k maybe she can beat you out of money and lowball you on this gig?

One way is to always quote high, and try and close the deal by asking for a signed shoot agreement and contract. If the mom hems and haws, you can "discount" it. SOme people have a lot more disposable in come than others, and this is something you might be able to figure out...is her husband a lawyer or doctor etc?

So, her birthday party is getting together with friends at a park to have you shoot a couple outfits? Since you don't have any real experience, I'd say $100 and give them a cd. Try to get permission to use it in your portfolio. Although, if it's just you snapping away, they'll be pretty amateur. Get a friend to bounce some light with a foam core board.

Since you don't have any real experience, I'd say $100 and give them a cd. Try to get permission to use it in your portfolio.
There's no 'try' about it. The right to use images for self-promotion, professional accreditation, etc should be a basic part of every photographer's contract.

Although, if it's just you snapping away, they'll be pretty amateur. Get a friend to bounce some light with a foam core board.
Really? You know this because?

To the OP, can you post some of your recent photos for us to see here?

Thanks.

Posting your most recent photos here could help others to give you an idea of what you should / could charge. I wouldn't want to put a price on your work without having seen it first.

Can you post the pics on the website? Many people will not click links. I clicked on these and they are very slow to load.

Since you don't have any real experience, I'd say $100 and give them a cd. Try to get permission to use it in your portfolio.
There's no 'try' about it. The right to use images for self-promotion, professional accreditation, etc should be a basic part of every photographer's contract.

Blah. It isn't my goal to hire someone who wants to use me as their ad boy.

Although, if it's just you snapping away, they'll be pretty amateur. Get a friend to bounce some light with a foam core board.
Really? You know this because?

She's a 16 yo whose experience consists of taking pictures of herself. Hello?

Yes, please do embed the images. I did follow the links because I had a couple of moments while waiting for a telephone call, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. For someone with your experience (meaning that, based on your age, you can only have so much experience), you're doing very good work. I think that you'll be able to turn in a very good product on this project. Good luck!

orljustin said:

and then,later,
orljustin said:

Uhhhhhh...dude...she's better than many "grownups" at this fashion thing...she's a Lookbook type of girl...I've seen far,far worse stuff from 40-year-old shooters...

She does most work in side- and backlighting...looks like a California resident who shoots after school!!!

Are you kidding? This kid is better some of the *adults* who are posting for C&C here.

Jen - I totally agree with Tirediron. You're going to be just fine.

You're dealing with 13 - 14 different girls doing a photo shoot all at once... with two different outfits... I *wouldn't* hesitate to charge *at least* $200 (If not more...). 13 girls is a handful... especially since they're all going to want to see each shot after you take them (and you should do your best not to try and have to SHOW them every single time :roll: ) and I'm sure some of them are going to want you to "take a picture of us... now us... now of me doing this!" :lol:

Seriously though... I think you'll do a great job with this, but like you said, don't shortchange yourself.

Seriously though... I think you'll do a great job with this, but like you said, don't shortchange yourself.
I think the most valuable (and potentially most difficult) aspect of this shoot will be 'herding the cats'. Make sure that everyone, parents and teens alike, know that you are in charge. Don't be shy, and don't let them push you into doing something that you know won't work.

Many people are complimenting you on these photos and perhaps they know more than me, but I'm not blown away with these images. I think there are some serious WB issues that could use some tweaking and there is room for improvement. But I think they are average--some average to good. I'd work on the WB issues.

In terms of cost, I think Derrell was pretty accurate to what I think is a reasonable price to ask for these types of images.

How much PP will be involved?

They are nice images, but pretty much setting up the camera with a timer (?) on a sunny day, and then doing some Nik processing on them. Not bad tho!

Most reactions

Back