How much to charge?

Grecophile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been approached by a local 4* hotel owner wanting to buy some of my photos (13 of them). He wants them put on a disc & a list of all the properties of each photo.
The hotel is in rural Greece, the photos will be used for next years 4-6 page A4 brochure they have in the hotel at reception.
I have never sold any photos before & he will not be drawn on how much he is willing to pay or has previously paid!
I have to name my price, so a starting point or ball park figure suggestion would be very gratefully received. Bear in mind I would rather undercharge & make sure he uses them as I think it could lead to more work.
Any clues please?
If you need any further info please ask me, I am totally new to this!

I have been approached by a local 4* hotel owner wanting to buy some of my photos (13 of them). He wants them put on a disc & a list of all the properties of each photo.
The hotel is in rural Greece, the photos will be used for next years 4-6 page A4 brochure they have in the hotel at reception.
I have never sold any photos before & he will not be drawn on how much he is willing to pay or has previously paid!
I have to name my price, so a starting point or ball park figure suggestion would be very gratefully received. Bear in mind I would rather undercharge & make sure he uses them as I think it could lead to more work.
Any clues please?
If you need any further info please ask me, I am totally new to this!

Only someone in Greece can help you. Our rates in the US may not mean anything at all. I don't know if you can delete a thread but if you can, do it and re-post your question with a title such "Photo Rates in Greece" so that other members from Greece have a better chance of seeing it.

Good luck.

In the meantime, you could look for a professional photographers association there in Greece that may be able to help.

What you need is licensing information. You want to sell usage rights, not the images themselves.

The hotel owner has you at a distinct disadvantage, and knows it. That is why he is not helping on the pricing. He figures to steal the images from you.

I'm not sure that it would matter since it is a foreign country but I would register those images with the Coppyright Commission. It'll cost you 35.00 but is the only way to truly be protected.

I'm not sure that it would matter since it is a foreign country but I would register those images with the Coppyright Commission. It'll cost you 35.00 but is the only way to truly be protected.
Do you mean the U. S. Copyright Office? www.copyright.gov.

It won't help him any in Greece. If he were to provide the images to a U.S. based stock agency, yes, it would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Thankyou all for your replies!
I have come to an agreement, for the use of the photos only, not ownership, that I am happy with.
I am now going to read lots more of the info on here under all categories, so thanks in advance for any useful tips I find!

What sort of deal was achieved?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back