TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jorishermans.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,
A question...

I've just launched a Patreon page because I want to give people who support my work directly something valuable in return. I'm sharing behind-the-scenes information about my work and photography (Editing, techniques, videos and a whole bunch of other stuff). You can also as me questions directly and I want to do group photo critiques and things like that. There's also an opportunity to win some prizes or prints. Basically a platform for people who like my work and want to learn more...

Now, here's the tricky part.

A few people have signed up already but I'm absolutely not sure about the monthly fee. I'm charging a few bucks ($3 to $5) a month right now because even though I like doing it, it takes a lot of work. I also don't want to use ads and keep spammers and trolls far away!

That being said, I have no idea if I'm charging too much or way to less. If I charge too less, it might give the impression that the quality is poop. If I charge too much, no one will join...

So, how much would you pay for something like this if a photographer whom's work you like would set up something like this? Is $3 to $5 per month about right?

Any feedback is welcome!

Don't ask us ask those who have already paid you ;)
That's my first bit of advice since clearly you're already doing something right that is generating an interest for people to pay.

As for how much that's dependent. What ARE you going to teach and how are you going to teach. Are you aiming at beginners who might require more simplistic language, but also more in dpeth explanations. Who might well require more basic concepts to be detailed out and who might well need to remain members for a while to up their skill level.
Are you aiming at the more intermediate or experienced who might know most of the basic language, but need refinement, inspiration, new ideas and also fleshing out of some more complex theories

Are you going to remain at one level or branch out or try to cover several? Your beginner is going to get more experienced as they move on, but at the same time new beginners will be around the corner. Meanwhile your experienced user is going to get a bit bored of "Oh its another article on how to use manual mode"; whilst a beginner needs that reinforcement (and you'll have to dip back every so often for the newbies who joined in).

You've got to decide your market and what they will want and then offer that content; remembering that you might be able to serve the interests of more than one group of individuals. If you do the latter youv'e got to be sure to divide and organise the resources on offer so that each group feels like they are getting equal attention. There's no sense in doing 5 articles in a row for one group as the other will fast feel left out.

As for charging that's pretty much going tobe you working it out I think. Patron is pretty new and many get away charging very little but going for mass market appeal so that they generate a LOT of small incomes that add up

£4 a month is nothing for one person; but for you if you've got 100 people a month then you've got £400 coming in. Get 1000 people interested and now you've got a pretty significant chunk of money (even once you take out fees and tax)

Don't ask us ask those who have already paid you ;)

Thanks for the reply! Of course I'm going to ask the people who've signed up but I also want to know what other people think. Ideally I'd like to ask people who saw my page but decided NOT to join... a bit more difficult :)

You need a strong USP (Unique selling point) - what you're offering is valuable for many and certainly more so for those interested and following your work, however, YouTube, FB, Instagram, Wordpress, and many other sites are offering people the chance to do this for free, they class it as advertising and getting their work out there. The 1 on 1 interaction I am sure is a selling point, as would things such as "edit your shot live", live classrooms, web chats, video and competitions, A forum where subscribers can discuss what they're doing, grow and know each other, build a community around you and your work, your site..

You want people to part with cash, albeit a minimal amount for most (not all), you need to offer a value and an incentive (other than giveaways which can also be free) for people to open their wallet. What do YOU want to achieve from it, what kind of people are you targeting, and what, in 30 seconds, would make somebody subscribe to you and not just view your work and go to youtube for tips?

I don't mean to sound negative, and this is just one guy's opinion..

Best of luck!

Any feedback is welcome!
An easy way to find out the going rate is to visit some of the other online photography teachers.

That is a tough question for sure.

Most of what I need I get from the internet or You Tube for free. But I like to tinker and find out for myself .

That said, I would have given a pretty penny to attend an Ansel Adams seminar.

As already suggest, see what other are offering and what they are charging?

Good Luck

I happen to support a photographer on Patreon.

He has tiers. $1, $5, $10, $15, and $20 a month IIRC.

Each tier the user gets a bit more similar to below.

$1 - Access to have one photo a month critiqued and have one question posted and answered a week.

$5 - Above + access to Friday 1hr zoom chats where each week you can video chat and have a live critique and discuss upcoming projects or issues that you are having. + 5% off all of merch and sponsor websites.

$10 - All of the above plus every 6 months have a private 1 on 1 Zoom video conference, + 10% off merch and sponsors website. Behind the scenes photos and access to post processing techniques/scripts.

Etc.

Having a tiered system allows more users to join based on what they need/can afford.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back