How old can a little kid shoot a DSLR?

I would say start with a point and shoot camera, about age 10

Good greif! TEN? Seriously????

I gave my son a point and shoot when he was like four. He took a lot of photos of the windsock at the neighboring paraglider landing strip, powerlines and many memory cards of photos of the floor.

At about the same age my brother was given a Mavica, he took lots of boring photos that immitated my own boring photos before moving on to en entire series of pictures of Ford emblem.

While Tec was definitely trolling us, and it's pretty hilarious that people haven't caught on to that, being that a two month old can barely hold his head up let alone hold a camera, ten is laughably conservative. Go to the thrift store or ebay, pick up and cheap p/s, preferably without a telescoping lens and let them go at it. Yes. They *will* break it. And that's ok. At this age it's more important that they have fun with photography than be worried about breaking the camera.

OTOH, I did give my Canon SLR to my son. He had a great time sticking his fingers in the mirror box. Obviously though I gave him that camera to muck around with, and he knew that it was his to muck with.

So yeah, four or five is probably too young for a D/SLR. Though many ten year olds would be plenty responsible enough to learn how to care for a decent camera.

You guys actually believe I will buy a Rebel camera for my two months old. HaHaHa...:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:!!!

Get him a Leica.

I'm thinking about giving my 2 month old nephew a rebel camera. Is that too young?
Sorry for the delay; I had a hard time finding this photo. I took it on the grounds of the Page Museum (La Brea Tar Pits). Sorry it is from too far away to see the camera, but it was a professional quality SLR, a Nikon I think.
Image.jpg

The title was just asking how old.
I have eight grandkids and by five years old the two that have shown a strong interest in photography were using my old stuff and wanted to do more than point and shoot. The rest are happy with point and shoot.

I begged my mom for my first camera at around 6 or 7 years old .. it was nothing fancy and I didn't take it serious at all. I got my first semi-pro slr at 12 and took it more serious at that point and moved up to pro bodies within a couple years ... it helped that my dad was a photographer.

Most reactions

Back