How should I read the Scott Kelby books?

OfMikeandMen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just about to finish "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson, and purchased the box set of Scott Kelby's books. I read a few in the book store and I see that each page is a new tip. Given that this is a little different than most books, or text books, how can I get the most out of these books, and remember what I read? Normally I read through a section once, then I re-read and take notes. I'll then make my notes organized on a document on the computer. But, I don't feel like this will work for Kelby's books. Any suggestions?

Whatever you learn you can try to create an assignment about it. That should help you remember.

It seems like with all the photography books I have, I always refer back to them for things. Focus on one aspect of photography at a time and then move to the next. Then you won't get so overwelmed.

Kelby books are more like cook books. it is not like a novel where you have to read the whole thing for it to make sense.
Start with the index and see what catches your eye. You know what you are weak in or what interests you. I suggest reading his introduction first to get a good feel for the book , then do one recipe at a time. flag the pages you know you will come back to often.

Maybe the following article can help you further on exposure:
article

It's just one text explaining the basic parts of photography. Maybe it's easier than "one tip a page" in a Kelby book?
Hope this helps :)

Start by actually reading the "Introduction" that we all seem to pass by since it's not actually telling us how to do things. In Scott's book though, it usually tells you how it's laid out and how to get the best from the book. In many of his intro's, he does say it's like a cook book, go to the section on what you want to do and follow the recipe. It just all depends on which one of his books you are using.

Most reactions

Back