How should I shoot this expired film?

xypex982

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just won off ebay a 5 rolls of tri-x 400 b/w and one roll of kodak gold 200 that all expired 10/2005. I am just experimenting with expired film, and I have heard it can loose it's speed. Should I shoot the 400 b/w and/or the 200 gold at a slower ASA, if so by how much? I know it isn't an exact science and results may vary but I was just wondering for you guys who shoot old film, if film 3 years past its experation date should generally be overexposed at all.

The colour film will be the most affected by age.
You might find that the dyes have deteriorated and colour rendition will shift.

The B+W film might be OK, and you may not see any difference as silver is a very stable element and there are no dyes ... or there might be a slight drop in contrast.

If that expired film was refrigerated then it would have slowed down the deterioration ... also amateur film was designed to age on the self (in most case's the peak time is the expiratory date).

It wasn't refrigerated I believe, and I am ok with that. I just want to know if that far out of date is long enough for it to loose it's speed, and would have to be shot at a bit of a slower speed.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back