How soon do you deposit your deposit check?

Breanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just booked my 2nd wedding last night. I collected the 50% deposit up front. I hate when people hold onto my checks and don't deposit them until a week or two later, but wanted to make sure that it didn't come across as tacky if I deposited it today or tomorrow.

Usually the next day, or the day after that.

I made a deposit on something once, and the amount was higher than I initially thought (by about $50). I expressed that I would go to the bank and add the additional funds, as I wasnt sure there were enough to cover the cheque. I walked from the meeting to the bank to transfer money to cover the difference, and the person had already gone in, tried to cash the cheque. Was my first ever NSF, and the lady then charged me a $30 NSF fee. THAT is tacky.

Yeah if they didn't request that you hold the check by either post-dating or actually saying "can you hold off on depositing for a couple days", then I'd say you're safe. But as said above, it probably couldn't hurt to wait until tomorrow just because. Don't wanna come off as "OMG I NEED TEH MONEYZ!!" (even if you do lol).

Haha. Would LOVE to deposit it today, but I'll wait until tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

Usually the next day, or the day after that.

I made a deposit on something once, and the amount was higher than I initially thought (by about $50). I expressed that I would go to the bank and add the additional funds, as I wasnt sure there were enough to cover the cheque. I walked from the meeting to the bank to transfer money to cover the difference, and the person had already gone in, tried to cash the cheque. Was my first ever NSF, and the lady then charged me a $30 NSF fee. THAT is tacky.

For me it depends on if I am near a bank, or when I will be near the bank. I live in the country. If im doing a job, get paid, and am passing a bank on the way home, I would probably cash it then.

Do you mean the person charging a nsf fee is tacky? They may have been penalized if they deposited the check, and it bounced. I think the banks like to double dip and charge both people the nsf fee.

I also dislike it when people hold onto a check for weeks or longer. It helps keep things organized if its cashed right away. :)

I deposit the next time I go to the bank, so sometimes the same day and sometimes a week later depending on what day it is. I don't think most people keep up with their banking closely enough to notice you took the check the same day, or that most people would think twice about it even if they did, unless you had been asked to hold it and didn't.

If a bank cashes a check that has been post dated, and for some reason becomes NSF, I believe you can fight the bank and make them give you your nsf charge back. :)

Banks (in the US at least) will cash checks even if they're post dated. They won't hold them.

Yup dates means squat on checks. I went on a 6 week vacation 3 years ago. I gave my landlord at the time 2 rent checks. One for current month and 1 for the next that was post dated. He deposited both of them. And of course to my suprise while on vacation my account was $1,200 less than I had planned on. And after a call to the bank, I now know they (scanner) doesn't even look at the date. Once you sign a check thats it. Small local banks may be different, but the big ones that use scanners, it will sail right through. :er:

If a bank cashes a check that has been post dated, and for some reason becomes NSF, I believe you can fight the bank and make them give you your nsf charge back. :)

Only if the bank is given written notice in advance of the post-dating. (ref: Uniform Commercial Code, Sect. 4-401)

Most reactions

Back