How to achieve this effect?

Droxium

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
View attachment 96846 How does someone achieve this effect? How slow would the shutter speed have to be? Thanks

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
That one actually looks like software to me -- a motion blur filter.

Joe

To get that type of effect, which is a sharp image that is "trailed by" a blurred image, the in-camera approach is to use what is called second shutter curtain flash synchronization, which was first widely popularized oh, I dunno, 25-some-odd years ago...and which today is commonly called just second curtain sync. This a setting that the user switches the camera to in the setup menu. On a moving subject, the first shutter curtain opens, and the exposure begins, usually on a slowish shutter time, like say 1/8 to 1 second in duration; as the end of the exposure time arrives, the flash burst is fired, and then the second shutter curtain immediately closes, ending the exposure. One area where second curtain sync has become almost a language unto itself is in modern nightclub photography, where is is a very popular method of conveying the movement and excitement of dancing and partying.

I agree with Ysarex..the above looks totally done in software. It lacks a number of "real flash" clues.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back