How to affectively use the flash??

AUZambo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a very generic question, but are there any recommended tutorials on the web for how to best use a flash in given lighting conditions? Of course I haven't read the manual which would probably be a good starting point, but I think it would just teach me the how-to for the flash...not technique.

My flash is the sony HVL-F36AM (pictured below). I've mastered bouncing it off the ceiling...but that's about it! Thanks!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
HVL-F36AM_03.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
HVL-F36AM_01.jpg
[/FONT]​

The problem is that any given lighting situation is different from the next. The best thing would be to understand how the flash works (and the principles of light) and use that knowledge to your advantage.

I'm sure you can find some good tutorials around the web but the best thing really is to practice as much as you can.

Since you have a dedicated flash for your camera, I suggest that you learn to adjust the FEC (flash exposure compensation) on either the camera or the flash.

Someone sent me this site awhile back...did just like he describes and love the results. I went to our local Michaels and bought the foam stock and I incorporated velcro and it works great and total cost was about $8 (foam and velcro). I made two versions.

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Roy

Effective use of flash takes a lot of time and practice. Google is your best friend.

Thanks guys...I've been pretty busy so I haven't had a chance to go through it all yet, but I really appreciate the help.

I can't tell you if the Strobist can affectively help you use your flash... but he will be able to tell you how to EFFECTIVELY use it.

Since you have a dedicated flash for your camera, I suggest that you learn to adjust the FEC (flash exposure compensation) on either the camera or the flash.
This is what I've been doing, and it's a lot of fun as well as making you actually think ..... Just experiment with different compensation settings (don't be afraid to go to extremes on either side to find out what happens), and don't be satisfied with so-so results. The more you do this, the more you can't help but learn.

Most reactions

Back