How To Answer Fauxtog Friend When They Ask If I Like Their Photos

Sharp tongued women have no need of knives.

"It looks like you are improving."

Hopefully the truth but you aren't having to state exactly where they are on the quality spectrum.

I would say something like " if thats what you were going for and you like it, thats all that counts".

If they ask what you mean and shows you a photo of....I don't know a cute little kid that has ( in your eyes ) a bunch of flaws, then you show them a photo you have taken that is similar and say....this is how I would have done it.

But like I said, if thats what you were going for, then thats good too.

Hello Everyone!
So here's the scenario. I have this friend who has recently decided that she is a photographer too. Her pictures are absolutely awful. Like some of the worst I've ever seen. I'm really worried that she's soon going to ask me what I think of her photos. Especially now since she just did a baby photo shoot and had asked me several times for tips and suggestions before she did it. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I'm not the type of person that can lie (even little white lies). I don't think I can even use the sandwich technique (where you start with a compliment, give a critique, and then end with another compliment). I can't find anything good about her pictures. Everything is all wrong. Composition, lighting, editing, focus.
If she were to ask me, how can I answer her while sparing her feelings and maintain the friendship?

Honesty but not rudely. Remember, in someone's eyes, we all suck.

Hello Everyone!
So here's the scenario. I have this friend who has recently decided that she is a photographer too. Her pictures are absolutely awful. Like some of the worst I've ever seen. I'm really worried that she's soon going to ask me what I think of her photos. Especially now since she just did a baby photo shoot and had asked me several times for tips and suggestions before she did it. I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I'm not the type of person that can lie (even little white lies). I don't think I can even use the sandwich technique (where you start with a compliment, give a critique, and then end with another compliment). I can't find anything good about her pictures. Everything is all wrong. Composition, lighting, editing, focus.
If she were to ask me, how can I answer her while sparing her feelings and maintain the friendship?

I had a friend in school who was very kind about my efforts. He gave me an encouraging word here and there and pointed out this and that which was good (and not so) in my photos. However, the really valuable and useful thing was that we would go out shooting together and I was able to actually see what he meant when saying things like, Why don't you try it this way?

If your friend does actually ask your opinion, then it is probably because she respects and values your work and is hoping to glean a little know-how from you. Take her under your wing.

Sometimes people ask because their looking for an ego boost. Or for your real opinion. You never know.

Just be tactful about it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back