How to Avoid Becoming a Lazy Photographer

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was reading this article posted on DPS (Digital Photography School) by Adam Welch and it's a great article to read in its entirety but I wanted to share a piece of it that really stood out to me.

The public, in general, favor that which others tend to favor. Meaning, the opinion of your own photography often hinges on the viral acceptance of others. Nothing is worse than a photo which becomes popular because a lot of people think it’s good.

I think it's a fantastic quote and has a lot of meaning.

Full article here > How to Avoid Becoming a Lazy Photographer

I was a bit disappointed that the article was another 20-something guy telling us to shoot in manual mode, and to use a tripod. I was expecting something a bit more philosophical, I guess! Made me think of one of my old photo instructors back in college....a 60-something dude, telling us to shoot in manual mode, and to use a tripoid for every picture!

I was a bit disappointed that the article was another 20-something guy telling us to shoot in manual mode, and to use a tripod. I was expecting something a bit more philosophical, I guess! Made me think of one of my old photo instructors back in college....a 60-something dude, telling us to shoot in manual mode, and to use a tripoid for every picture!

Yeah....I can see that after thinking about it. But I still liked part of the article I quoted.

I am looking to shoot on full auto from the comfort of my lawn miles and miles away from my target. Drones are all the rage now.

I was tempted to buy a DJI Phantom but I don't know how much I'd actually use it. But most likely I'd crash it first day and break it beyond repair, or someone will shoot it, or I'll get in trouble. It's just isn't worth the hassle to me.

I was tempted to buy a DJI Phantom but I don't know how much I'd actually use it. But most likely I'd crash it first day and break it beyond repair, or someone will shoot it, or I'll get in trouble. It's just isn't worth the hassle to me.
That's why you get a cheap drone, first. Learn to fly with that, then move up to a better model with camera when you know what you are doing.

That's why you get a cheap drone, first. Learn to fly with that, then move up to a better model with camera when you know what you are doing.

I did that, broke all of them lol. I don't think it's for me. The DJI drones have assists anyways which help considerably, made better and longer battery life instead of 5 minutes. It's possible I could learn how to fly them but I'd still be worried about getting in trouble or getting it shot down, especially where I live. I'd hate to get into confrontation over flying a drone. I just don't know if it's worth the hassel.

I thought about getting one. An hour later I had decided not to.

I'm not really interested in video so there just isn't much of a use for me. If I owned my own GIS firm, I could see some applications, especially in 3D modelling, but not as a personal venture at this point.

Last night i went for some hdr shooting and i noticed that me taking a long break from photography has really brought down the already mediocre stuff i was putting out. I guess it is really important to not become complacent. :cupcake:

OK- so essentially the quote is that nothing is worse than a photo that's popular because everybody love it.

Wait- wut? LOL

That just sounds like "I'm an artist- not a snapshot hack" mumbo jumbo to me. If my portfolio is partly inspired by Ansel Adams, and partly inspired by Dogs-playing-poker-on-black-velvet, in both instances I'm hoping for images that people enjoy. Is the premise here that people are stupid, and their uneducated approval is the kiss of death to an artist?

Personally, I yearn for images that everybody loves.

OK- so essentially the quote is that nothing is worse than a photo that's popular because everybody love it.

Wait- wut? LOL

That just sounds like "I'm an artist- not a snapshot hack" mumbo jumbo to me. If my portfolio is partly inspired by Ansel Adams, and partly inspired by Dogs-playing-poker-on-black-velvet, in both instances I'm hoping for images that people enjoy. Is the premise here that people are stupid, and their uneducated approval is the kiss of death to an artist?

Personally, I yearn for images that everybody loves.

I have photos that are popular only because someone with a bigger following shared it that only liked my photo because that person liked it not because of the photo was good or not.

But I think what he is trying to say is don't rely on the acceptance of others to determine if your photo is good or not.

Most reactions

Back