How to black & white a photo but keep a portion in color?

AsimpleLove

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What software offers this action, where you can black & white a photograph but edit a portion to be in color? I've been using adobe photoshop elements 10 and I never came across this option unless im overlooking it.

selective coloring, google it
google.gif

I have elements 8 and I am able to do it. It's one of the few things I have learned to do with it.

I use an application called "color strokes" on my Macbook and it works great. You can get into precise detail by changing brush size and zooming into the picture.
You can also do this on GIMP which is available for Mac ans Windows computers.

Everyone wants to do it at some point. C'mon, admit it.

I don't really use photoshop for this, but you could easily doing it by creating a BW image, and a color image, and then using a layer mask brush to brush in the color parts. Perhaps there's an even easier way though.

I don't really use photoshop for this, but you could easily doing it by creating a BW image, and a color image, and then using a layer mask brush to brush in the color parts. Perhaps there's an even easier way though.

The only way I can think of that may be easier is the color range tool under select. Select it, mask it off, and then convert it.

Turn the image black & white then use the History brush. Then delete all images you've ever taken. Selective color is an abomination.

Most reactions

Back