How to black & white a photo but keep a portion in color?

Once you learn how to do selective color, a pop-up message will appear from the year 2005 asking for their gimmick back.

Once you learn how to do selective color, a pop-up message will appear from the year 2005 asking for their gimmick back.

sofunny.jpg

Easiest way:

1 copy background layer
2 convert to black and white
3 create layer mask
4 select the mask, choose the brush tool at black and mask back in the colour parts

Easiest? No, wait, it's the only way I know....

In GIMP, it's as simple as Selecting what you want to keep in color, Inverting the Selection, then Desaturate.

Then it will just be a matter of thinking, "Gee, I wish I had that 2 minutes back......."

First lesson of Photoshop - learn how to use selections....then you can do whatever you want to any part of the image......
Second lesson of Photoshop - learn how to use layers.........

Here's how I did the one I made:
1. Print from B&W negative - fiber paper gives better results than RC. Set the timer or enlarger aperture to very slightly underexpose the print so it's a little light.
2. After the washed print dries thoroughly and has been pressed flat, use thinned oil paints and a good quality soft hair brush to add the color. Allow a couple of days for the paint to dry.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back