How to build a storm chasing car

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
I had my car 2 weeks and decided it was a keeper... so I drilled 16 holes into it while setting it up to do my passion... STORM CHASING!!!

I started out by running a 4 gauge wire from the battery to the center console in the car. I ran it through the wheel well,
as I couldnt find a place to run it through the fire wall in the car.
chasecar1.jpg

The wire comes in to the car under the dash on the left hand drivers side... goes up over the steering wheel shaft,
down into the center console, and runs along to the back, where I drilled a hole into the center console,
and ran the wire in...
chasecar2.jpg

chasecar3.jpg

I then drilled a fuse block to the underside of the cars armrest, and ran the battery wire to it.
chasecar4.jpg

I then drilled a hole near the first hole, and ran a wire from a ground block that I had installed in the
center console, to a screw that I had fastened to the cars metal floor for a ground.
chasecar5.jpg

chasecar6.jpg

I then mounted a two outlet power inverter to the passenger side center console.
chasecar7.jpg

and a ham and police scanner under the drivers side dash...
chasecar8.jpg

The scanner's wires went to the cars fuse block which was right by the scanner, and the ham and inverter wires were ran
back to the new fuse block and ground...
chasecar9.jpg

With the drivers seat in its operating position, it hides the wires and holes in the console, leaving a very clean looking install.

chasecar11.jpg

chasecar10.jpg

Next I installed a laptop computer mount.
chasecar12.jpg

chasecar13.jpg

The computer can easily swivel over to a passenger if one is along.
chasecar14.jpg

And everything but the inverter can be taken out in 10 minutes, so I do not have to worry about theft when parked at night. Now I just need a storm.

Doug Raflik

Hey, wheres the 3000 watt amp and 25 inch speakers !!!

Dont tell me theres not room in there...

JK, I like how you just "went for it"
pretty cool. Let us know if you find anything, im sure the pics will be killer.

On a sidenote, does this car have a sunroof ? you could mount a tripod for the roof and use one of those wireless LCD camera things for the viewfinder. If you found a way to motorize the raising of the pod, be as easy as sticking on a wide angle and rotating like a tank sight.

Anyways, im getting all geeky...

Great job! I would love to do something like this.

I would LOVE to go storm chasing!

Awesome sequence, and good luck!

You are aware that you could have simply unbolted fasteners holding the console in and ran the wires under the carpen and under the console and remounting it instead of drilling holes through the side like that, right?

That looks like a brand new car you put full of holes there...

i do have to admit, seeing you drill holes in a lovely car did make me cringe :S however i love the laptop stand that looks the nuts!

Wow... That could have been done in such a cleaner way... Almost to were no one would realize things are done except for seeing the laptop and such..

However, good job if you dont mind the uncleanliness of it.

Most reactions

Back